X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Completely disable Kwallet in 15.04

Hi all,

Recently switched to Kubuntu and it seems mostly great, but I've been having a lot of trouble with kwallet. I've been Googling for how to completely disable it, but I can only find answers relating to 14.04, and it's different. I've tried unchecking 'Enable KDE wallet subsystem' or something like that in kwallet-manager, but that just breaks kwallet-manager (opening the program again brings up an empty window which then crashes and needs to be terminated) and I still get prompted by Kwallet every time I try to connect to WiFi. Is there some way I can blacklist it or something like that?

Thanks,

Adam

EDIT: Even deleting the default wallet doesn't stop it prompting me that 'kded5' is trying to access that wallet.
    EDIT2: The prompts are appearing even if the file ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc has the line "Enabled=false". Please help!
    Last edited by evenadam; May 20, 2015, 03:52 PM. Reason: More details

I searched aptitude for packages with 'kwallet' in the name, and found a couple installed, so I purged them. After reinstalling kubuntu I can tell anybody who finds this thread on Google: don't do that.

Comment

I can't remember the exact steps I took to fix this major annoyance, but I seem to remember needing to do a thorough search for kwallet config files. There are some in /home/username/.kde/share/apps/kwallet/ and there are also some in /home/username/.local/share/kwalletd/ , don't forget to look in other folders too (just to be sure).

Basically I deleted everything kwallet, kwalletrc, etc, then I logged out and when I logged in, and tried to connect to wifi, I was prompted to set a password but didn't enter any and clicked ok. I may have uninstalled kwalletmanager (4.15.04) too, because I just checked and it's not installed. So you may need to uninstall that first, then delete the local files, log out then login.

I really should have paid attention to the exact steps I took, but at the time I was just annoyed and wanted that damn kwallet to shut-up and just let me connect to my wifi.

Comment

you should be able to turn off, disable, or get rid of the password prompt in a number of ways.
        I think that simply uninstalling kwalletmanager should be enough to get rid of it, and possibly libkf5wallet-bin
        Don't use aptitiude to do this if it offers to remove more than these 2 specific packages.

Another option is to open the Kmenu or Krunner (alt-f2) and type in kwallet
        This should offer you kwalletmanager, which you can open, go to Settings >> Configure Kwallet, and uncheck "Enable thew KDE wallet subsystem"
        This turns off kwallet altogether. You are having problems with that, however (which I am not seeing) so this may not help much.

One option is to give the wallet a blank password.
        This still allows for storage of passwords, etc, but obviously not as safely.

What is probably the issue is that wifi is asking for the kwallet or wifi password, and is failing for some reason, despite the wallet being opened at login.
        Try this:
        Click the wifi widget on your systray, them click on the top right icon, the one for "Configure network connections". Choose the appropriate hotspot, select Edit, then General Configuration, and check the box "All users may connect to this network"
        This should keep kded5 from asking for the password after logging in.
        Last edited by claydoh; May 20, 2015, 06:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          One option is to give the wallet a blank password.
          This still allows for storage of passwords, etc, but obviously not as safely.
          It's what I do. Having no password is still somewhat safer than storing secrets in plain text files -- the wallet is still encrypted, and the key has account-specific salt. Furthermore, only your user account has access to the wallet files.

Comment

I was unable to change my password to an empty string via the kwallet manager, but after deleting the files dtr mentioned, next time I tried to connect I was prompted to set a new password, and I left it empty. Now I can connect without being bugged.

Thanks!

I still can't figure out why unchecking "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem" just causes kwallet-manager to crash instead of turning it off, though.

Comment

Originally posted by evenadam View Post
              I still can't figure out why unchecking "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem" just causes kwallet-manager to crash instead of turning it off, though.
              Sounds like a bug. You can report it at https://bugs.kde.org.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                Sounds like a bug. You can report it at https://bugs.kde.org.
                Ok, thanks. Have done.

Comment

Is there no way to more directly communicate with the powers that be re: such crap. I find it incomprehensible that KWallet should be "pushed" at us WITH NO OPTION by someone who things they know more about how to set up our working environment than we do.

Before 15.04, this pest could be turned off in System Settings. That option has been removed. WHY THAT is the problem.

I come to KDE to have options. Suddenly I don't have one.

Again, how do we get someone's attention about this? Or this simply a futile idea....? (probably, now that I think of it)
                  Last edited by tomcloyd; Jun 11, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Uhh, I've turned it off in 15.04...

I believe I did it by selecting Remove wallet in the KWallet manager.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
                      Is there no way to more directly communicate with the powers that be re: such crap. I find it incomprehensible that KWallet should be "pushed" at us WITH NO OPTION by someone who things they know more about how to set up our working environment than we do.

Before 15.04, this pest could be turned off in System Settings. That option has been removed. WHY THAT is the problem.

I come to KDE to have options. Suddenly I don't have one.

Again, how do we get someone's attention about this? Or this simply a futile idea....? (probably, now that I think of it)

It has not been removed. It is just currently not able to be embedded into Plasma 5's System Settings yet. However, Kwalletmanager is readily available in the menus, under System - or simply type in 'kwa' in the Kmenu or Kicker, and it will show up. In it's settings you can turn it off

Comment

I installed the KWallet manager. Upon launch, it hangs, and I have to bomb it off.

Trying to access kwallet directly -

tomc@LT:~$ kwallet
                        No command 'kwallet' found, did you mean:
                        Command 'kwalletd' from package 'kde-runtime' (universe)
                        kwallet: command not found
                        tomc@LT:~$

kwallet doesn't know it doesn't exist. It's still popping up all over the place when I try to connect to a network - or use a password anywhere else.

This has taken up well over an hour of my time, and I'm no closer to a solution than I was before. I wonder why I'm reminded of Microsoft all of a sudden?

Comment

Executing kwalletmanager from the kmenu, it just hangs.

From the command line, this is what I get -

Code:
                          [FONT=monospace]tomc@LT:~$ which kwalletmanager
                          /usr/bin/kwalletmanager
                          tomc@LT:~$ kwalletmanager
                          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                          QDBusConnection: session D-Bus connection created before QCoreApplication. Application may misbehave.
                          kwalletmanager(2628)/kdeui (Wallet): The kwalletd service has been disabled  
                          Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QString,QString,QString)
                          tomc@LT:~$ kwalletmanager(2628)/kdeui (Wallet): The kwalletd service has been disabled  
                          [etc.][/FONT]
                          "disabled"? - it sure keeps jumping up anyway...

I'm wondering if somethings missing. I looked in the packages under "kwallet", but didn't see anything I could make sense of.

Comment

Two daemons -- kwalletd and kwalletd5 -- need to be running. Only then can kwalletmanager do anything useful.

Comment

Then try accessing the config this way:

kcmshell4 kwalletconfig

This will open the settings part of kwalletmanager, which is what normally would be in System Settings

kcmshell4 (and kcmeshell5 for Plasma 5) is the command line method to open individual System Settings modules.

kcmshell5 --list will list the available Plasma 5 modules, sub kcmshell4 to view the KDE4 ones.
                              Last edited by claydoh; Jun 11, 2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X