This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot Launch System Settings

I have repeated the installation process several times and I always find that I cannot launch System Settings. I get the following error message.

Click image for larger version

Name:	system_settings.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	648965

Needless to say, there is no such file
    /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libkdeinit5.systemsettings.so
    Has anyone else had this problem? Also, is there any known solution to this problem as Vivid is virtually useless until System Settings can be run?

How are you trying to launch System Settings?

The correct command in Vivid/kf5 is "systemsettings5", not "systemsettings" (as shown in the error)...do you perhaps have an old .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/ that is overriding the system default?

Comment

I have a different issue related to system settings, it crashes constantly. Usually I don't even close the window, it closes itself by crashing so much.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        How are you trying to launch System Settings?

The correct command in Vivid/kf5 is "systemsettings5", not "systemsettings" (as shown in the error)...do you perhaps have an old .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications/ that is overriding the system default?
        Thanks for the correction. It is now working perfectly.

It looks like the installation of Vivid onto a system with a pre-existing /home partition for Utopic does not update the entries in ~/.local/share/applications. Wouldn't this then lead to problems with those upgrading from Utopic to Vivid?

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          It looks like the installation of Vivid onto a system with a pre-existing /home partition for Utopic does not update the entries in ~/.local/share/applications.
          Package (or release) upgrades don't modify existing files in users' $HOME directories (this is important to prevent the possibility of any data loss for users).

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          Wouldn't this then lead to problems with those upgrading from Utopic to Vivid?
          Yes, it can lead to problems for upgraders at times (when old user configuration files are not compatible with upgraded packages/software), but are usually fairly easy to fix (once you find out what the problem is, of course).

Name changes for executables are a bit of a hassle (but sometimes necessary, at least during transitions), as they may lead to broken user links/scripts etc.

Comment

Thanks for the clarification. I have now learnt that with a new version, the solution to problems with executables not launching correctly is to:

Start the installation disk > try Kubuntu > Edit Applications, then go to the problem application and see how it is launched.

I hope to remember this the next time around.

Comment

Working...
            X