This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reversion to upstart, kdm

For actual use, I only use ESR's, everything else is treated as testing, and as a way to keep an eye on changes coming up to future ESR's. This way I can plan and prepare for said changes and have a course of action.

Well..... lots of changes are going to be forthcoming for me in 16.04 and later... ie: systemd, especially and other things, like yet another DM that doesn't support XDMCP, urrrrrrrrhggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.... we already went back to KDM in 12.04 and 14.04, so no big deal, but I can see KDM being a problem come 16.04.

I am interested in hearing from those who have chosen to:

1) revert BACK to UPSTART PERMANENTLY. (I've seen and read this on the steps to do so, https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers )
    2) Using KDM in place of SDDM (Issues?, especially with #1) Although it seems some one has a XDCMP version(s) in other distros ? see: http://marc.info/?l=fedora-extras-co...5237012863&w=2 ??

Let me follow this up with, I am not interested in a debate of how great and wonderful systemd is, or how bad and outdated upstart is etc.. or sddm v. kdm v. lightdm etc...

I am purely after a discussion on "I did this, here is what I've found...." etc., a techical discussion on doing this.. I am well aware that this has FAAAARRRR ranging and reaching repercussions for the future...ie: software installs expecting systemd, etc.., I wish to explore those to see the path that awaits me, and the headaches.. So again, let me summarize and reiterate I am after a TECHNICAL DISCUSSION on this.

Any one done this reversion? Issues, What have you encounterd with software that would install auto start scripts etc. that you are now left to fend for yourself on setting up, ie: digging up old upstart scripts etc.. like: MySQL, others? etc......
Working...
X