Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to be able to move between distros with relative ease and am trying to home in on something of a partition setup that I agree with, just a model I can maintain for longer periods that feels right to me and that agrees with my encryption setup. Sorry if I'm sharing too much.

Comment

I always have a separate Home and Root partitions on all my systems. So all I change is the Root partition when installing Vivid on my USB Flash drive. I therefore expect the installation of Vivid to change the hidden files in my Home partition to satisfy its requirements.

Comment

Do you have an idea of which files it are going to be?

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
          Do you have an idea of which files it are going to be?
          Sorry to say that I do not know, as I have never checked. I use the same procedure each time I install a new distribution.

My main concern with a new installation is preserving all the entries that I have made in Kontact. Because I now have a USB 3.0 flash memory connected to my Laptop, I can now do a more thorough check of a new distribution as the speed of this memory is more than adequate. This time round I have had serious misgivings of Vivid, so I replicated the important aspects on my Utopic Home directory on Vivid which is installed on the USB memory.

Comment

Vivid made a better impression on me with the beta2 release than with the alpha2, that's for sure. I was planning to keep it as a second system (at the end of my harddrive) but I failed my procedure and ended up copying it to the root partition of the first install. Having 14.10 as a secondary however makes no sense to me it needs to be my primary but given enough space it is not very costly to change the setup. I have had marvellous fun really moving around LVM volumes but some of the tools are still lacking particularly as it pertains to shrinking a physical volume.

Comment

I was thinking even to write a little script to automate the process but no time for it and nowhere to publish it either and who knows who would be interested. This is mostly the same problem: if you have no place to publish it no one will be interested, or if you have no /good/ way to publish it in any case. Who can find the madness through the maze.

It's really about matching physical extents to sector sizes and all in the right order. I guess logical volumes dance around in non-contiguous space but I am hurt by the fact that regular sequential ordering seems to fall outside of its model: to me it matters /where/ a volume is located but the information cannot be had (so I just remember) and it is a failure. You can make Logical Volumes contiguous and this would probably prevent splitting but I wish there was a better graphical tool. Shrinking a PV inside a LUKS container requires first shrinking the PV, then the surrounding LUKS and then the partition or device containing the LUKS. Particularly "pvresize" is lacking no matter how verbose it is (or can be) particularly because it will always tell you the old size was zero. And it operates in sectors instead of taking Physical Extents and outputting sectors as a result.
              Last edited by xennex81; Apr 24, 2015, 01:43 AM.

Comment

If there is no clean upgrade from the betas of a release, the developers should just tell everybody to nuke and pave before a final release. Is this a radical expectation? Problems I have had since beta 2:

1. Akonadi dies with errors and nothing in kdepim will work.
                2. SDDM fails randomly and leaves me with a black screen that allows no login. (May be an ADM problem, but why does nobody talk about it? Happening since the alpha days of Qt 5.)
                3. No weather widget manages to work. (QML errors prevent the Yahoo widget from operating.)

I understand that these are--ho hum!--user errors. But why is it that no dev seems to care about them. I'm not going to risk using any new Kubuntu release again. There are neighborhoods where stability counts for something. This isn't an alpha. What it is is a piece of **** that will fail constantly for a significant number of users and developers will simply shrug. "**** happens!"

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil View Post
                  3. No weather widget manages to work. (QML errors prevent the Yahoo widget from operating.)
                  ya ,,,what was that error ,,,,,,,I forget but it just involved adding a mising package if I remember right ,,,,,I have it working @hear

VINNY
                  i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                  16GB RAM
                  Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

ya ,,,install this and the yahoo weather will work
                    Code:
                            [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]sudo apt install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel[/COLOR]
                    [/FONT]
                    VINNY

and as a side note ,,,,,,I am glad I have my 14.04 partition as well

plasma5 15.04 seems to be ,,,,still a mix of plasma5 ready applications and plasma4 applications and some quirks are still haunting it.
                    Last edited by vinnywright; Apr 24, 2015, 06:01 PM.
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by jcphil View Post
                      If there is no clean upgrade from the betas of a release, the developers should just tell everybody to nuke and pave before a final release. Is this a radical expectation? Problems I have had since beta 2:

1. Akonadi dies with errors and nothing in kdepim will work.
                      2. SDDM fails randomly and leaves me with a black screen that allows no login. (May be an ADM problem, but why does nobody talk about it? Happening since the alpha days of Qt 5.)

I understand that these are--ho hum!--user errors. But why is it that no dev seems to care about them. I'm not going to risk using any new Kubuntu release again. There are neighborhoods where stability counts for something. This isn't an alpha. What it is is a piece of **** that will fail constantly for a significant number of users and developers will simply shrug. "**** happens!"
                      So, how many bug reports did you file?
                      Perhaps the devs can't see problems that they do not experience, with all the possible combinations of settings, software, and use cases out there.
                      With all the reviews out there, you would think that more of them would highlight all the dreadfulness.

The only thing I will say, is that the release announcement should have better highlighted the changes, and what to expect in an upgrade. I used to do those for Kubuntu, but I don't have as much time as I used to. but I will take any lumps about the missing features and system changes that people may not have been aware of.

As to the Yahoo weather widget, install qml-module-qtquick-xmllistmodel, the widget's author probably forgot to mention the needed component.

Comment

Actually, I think I will close this thread, it is quite long, and perhaps more use would come from new, more specific topics, and more of them.

it is also too late to do what the title suggests....

Comment

Working...
                        X