This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 4 on 15.04?

I am now running 14.10 with plasma 4 with great pleasure. I am wondering if it is possible to still install or get or select plasma 4 on 15.04?

No, there will be no way to get the previous KDE versions in the new Kubuntu.

Comment

It's unfortunate. But I really mean the old graphical 'skin' or theme, we are talking about the same thing right? I thought Plasma "5" was identical to its looks.

Comment

Yes, plasma 5 does basically look (and act) similar, but has a totally new set of theming stuff. I *think* the kde4 window decorations, styles, icons and plasma theme are still there, but I'm not near a computer to be able to see if one can get plasma 5 to look like plasma 4

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
          It's unfortunate. But I really mean the old graphical 'skin' or theme, we are talking about the same thing right? I thought Plasma "5" was identical to its looks.
          plasma 5 is so diferent that the themes , window decorations must all be rebuilt for it ,,,,,witch theme are we talking about ?

look at your settings to find out.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The Oxygen icons, Oxygen color scheme, Oxygen application style, and the Air plasma theme are still there, so you can get Plamsa 5 to look very much like KDE4 pretty easily. I don't see (yet) the Oxygen window decoration, which is the only KDE4 element I haven't found, but there are plenty one can find that are closer, or based on Oxygen.

Comment

Actually, I forgot that there is a button in system settings that will change all the elements to Oxygen/Air things, except wallpaper

Here is my laptop with it, as much as I can. The window decoration is still Breeze, but with a blue color for active windows, and I had to adjust the Blur desktop effect, actually turned it off, so the taskbar had better text visibility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot8.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	642805

Comment

So Oxygen is the old one right. And Breeze is the new one?

I am really hoping for a situation where I can select either. But what you are showing now is very much the new "Breeze" look then. What I really have an issue with is the low amount of contrast in the new "Breeze" interface as I tried it in 15.04 Alpha 2 before I settled (for the time being) on Kubuntu 14.10. I just downloaded a 15.04 beta 2 I believe and I am willing to install it again. But I found 14.10 to be much more feature-rich in the desktop environment, when I attempted 15.04 alpha 2. But perhaps this contrast is just something to get used to. I am greatly enjoying my Kubuntu experience, more so than I ever experienced a system before. Maybe also because I am older (in my 30s) and I am more willing and trying to make something beautiful and future-rich out of it (that's another word, future-rich ;-))). I am even hoping to do some translation work on the wiki shortly (or wherever it was), maybe today.

Anyway. Enough with the chatter again. From your words I understand that the KDE 4 look will still be available for selection? I am just not done with KDE 4 look by far. I am still greatly enjoying it, before I want to jump ship and go on to another thing.

Comment

Originally posted by xennex81 View Post
                  the low amount of contrast in the new "Breeze" interface as I tried it in 15.04 Alpha 2
                  Breeze is hard on my eyes. It seems 'washed out' to me, which may be the low contrast you mentioned. Breeze Dark, however, is my new favorite theme and color scheme of all time.

Comment

I noticed your thread on this forum (Breeze Dark Desktop Theme Better but the Panel) and I guess it is good there is a dark background, but it depends on how dark it is, too dark is too much (for me at least). I noticed also that I never looked into themes - apologies for that. I was using the default "Air" theme. In 14.10/plasma4. So I suppose Air will remain available (?). But I've tried Oxygen. It changes the taskbar and the Start menu (Kicker?) but nothing else changes. Yes, the task switcher gets a dark black background/icons. But nothing else changes. Also when I go to the details, all of the options are selected "File....". There are no Oxygen options for it.

Here is that taskbar, but nothing else looks that way:

It would be wonderful if more could look that way: if that colour could be present or prevalent on more window items (such as the color of the title bars). Perhaps also the Kicker or the appication launcher or whatever it is called.
                    Last edited by xennex81; Mar 30, 2015, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X