X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot log into failsafe.

Hejhej,
    Plasma login works, but I just tested failsafe mode and it shows console for short and then returns to the login screen. It's ssdm i guess.

Previously I installed cinnamon, ran it but didn't like it and removed it again.
    After that there was still GNOME and other stuff (gnome fallback/failsafe forgot the name) in the DE drop-down menu. But when started they only led me back to ssdm.

So I deleted everything but plasma.desktop in /usr/share/xsessions

All the obsolete entries were gone, but when I tested fallback mode it didn't start. Is there a way to reinstall it somehow?

thanks

"Failsafe" has always failed on both my 15.04 installs, one upgraded from 14.10 and the other a clean install with its own /home. Both required teeth grinding workarounds to boot, but neither has had Gnome or cinnamon or anything other than KDE. Mine is older hardware that uses the nvidia 304 driver.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Fedora - Bug 1222297 - failsafe session does not work: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1222297
      ...If you install the package 'xterm' the failsafe session works.
      At here: Xterm installed, the 'failsafe' will open a small xterm window on the top of the sddm.
      Try Me !

Comment

Both my vivid installs now have xterm, and "Failsafe" still fails. I don't know what that would be for, because Ctrl-Alt-F1 to get a linux console works fine.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
          Fedora - Bug 1222297 - failsafe session does not work: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=1222297

At here: Xterm installed, the 'failsafe' will open a small xterm window on the top of the sddm.
          xterm seems to be installed.

Code:
           [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]user@machine:~$ sudo apt-get -f  install xterm [/COLOR]
          Reading package lists... Done 
          Building dependency tree        
          Reading state information... Done 
          xterm is already the newest version. 
          0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
          [/FONT]
          Reinstalling xterm doesn't help

Your link also says:
          Hans de Goede 2015-05-18 03:45:06 EDT Hi,

xorg-x11-xinit maintainer here (I came her via bug 1222299). Before this bug gets re-assigned to xorg-x11-xinit, let me say that it will be closed wontfix there, since xorg-x11-xinit is Required: by many other packages too, and we do not want to drag in xterm everywhere.

Most display managers by now only show sessions from /usr/share/xsessions/ which does not contain failsafe. If ssdm wants to display a failsafe option despite that, relying on the ancient failsafe support in the xinit scripts it should add Requires: on the necessary packages to make this work.

Regards,

Hans
          But I don't quite get whats the impact of this? Does this mean Failsafe is out-of-date and no longer supported in some way?

Comment

Testing with an older Vivid VirtualBox installation - no xterm installed - this is how it works with it:

It is using the konsole.
            Try Me !

Comment

Working...
            X