X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu won't boot

Hi all,

I had dual boot. After Windows 10 upgrade, my grub went missing (as always with anything related to Windows). I tried many times to recover it but nothing happened. I accidentally erased my kubuntu partition and the efi Partition (not sure how). Can not boot to Windows. Acer (my laptop is Acer) is going to send me the Windows DVDS, so for the Moment I wanted to install kubuntu using the entire disk. Installation goes ok, but on rebooting, it says no bootable device.

What can I do? Thanks!

BIOS is on uefi Mode and secure Boot

Use GParted Live CD to give the HDD a new gpt partition table (Device > Create Partition Table and select gpt), and to set up your partitions for Kubuntu INCLUDING an ESP.

ESP: 512 MB, FAT32, and set the boot flag on it. It is usually sda1 (the first partition), but that is not absolutely required.

See how I did this on a new PC build, a new HDD:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post368216

and my notes on how-to use the Manual method of installing Kubuntu from the DVD:

///////////////////////////////////////////
    Installing Kubuntu -- Using the "Manual" Installation Type

Two steps:
    -- First, set up your partitions for Kubuntu.
    -- Then install Kubuntu using the "Manual" method of installation.

Step 1:
    Partitioning for Kubuntu

Many long-time users of Kubuntu prefer to do their own partitioning using GParted (or other similar programs) instead of doing allowing the Kubuntu installer to do the partitioning.

So, use GParted to partition your drive for Kubuntu, making partitions for root /, and /home (if you use a separate home partition), and swap. If you already have swap partition set up for another K(Ubuntu) OS, you do not need to create another swap partiton for the Kubuntu version you are installing now.

You can use GParted from another installed Linux OS on your computer, or you can use GParted Live CD/USB. In Kubuntu, you can install gparted using Muon. After doing so, you will probably find it here: K > Applications > System > Partition Editor (GParted).

GParted Live CD:
    http://gparted.org/livecd.php
    The Manual shows you how to do parttioning operations:
    http://gparted.org/display-doc.php?n...ed-live-manual
    Make sure you choose the right version of GParted, read the Note:
    http://gparted.org/download.php

Step 2:
    Install Kubuntu using the "Manual" method of installation

Download Kubuntu, check it, and make the installer medium
    Download the correct version of Kubuntu (use 64-bit for newer UEFI+GPT systems). Run checks on it (MD5 or Shasums).
    Burn the iso image to DVD (using K3b or similar), or make a live USB flash drive
    ( https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...aller-using-dd ).

Boot your computer with the Live Kubuntu medium
    Reboot your computer with the DVD or flash drive installed.
    At the computer's POST screen, hit the proper key to enter the firmware ("BIOS") setup.
    Locate the boot or boot override menu.
    Select the DVD or USB flash drive to boot from.
    (If you are installing in UEFI mode: Your DVD or flash drive may have more than one boot menu entry; choose the entry that says UEFI or EFI.)
    --> Thus, boot your PC with the DVD/USB Kubuntu installer medium.
    Get to the Kubuntu welcome page and select Install Kubuntu (your other choice will be to Try Kubuntu [without installing]).

Installation Type screen: Select Manual.

Prepare Partition screen (the left side bar may say "Disk Setup"):

You will see a list of all your partitions, including those you created in GParted for Kubuntu.
    Highlight a partition you want to use (for example, for root / or for /home or for swap).
    Hit the Change button.
    You will see a menu called Edit Partition.
    New size: do not change what you did in Gparted, leave it as it is.
    Use as:
    Format partition: No, do not check this box -- leave the format as you did it in GParted.
    Mount point: Drop-down list: you will see /, /home, etc. If in GParted, you formatted it as swap, you will also see that choice here. Choose one.
    Hit the OK button.
    Repeat this by highlighting another partition you wish to use for Kubuntu (/, /home, swap).
    Bootloader:
    When you are done you may also see a choice where to install the bootloader (GRUB2). You can say sdX, where X is the drive you wish GRUB to go on; if you are using UEFI mode, it doesn't matter what you say here: GRUB will go to the ESP, usually sda1, automatically; thus, you can say sda, if you wish.

Finally, click Install Now.
    (Or, you can click Back; or Quit if you wish to NOT install Kubuntu at this time.)

Note:
    Since you did your partitioning ahead of time using GParted (or similar), there are other options you will see that you will NOT use, like these: new partition table, Add, Delete. If you make any mistakes or are not sure about what you did, there is a button called "Undo all changes."

//////////////////////////////////
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks Qqmike. Did as you suggested, made the partitions with Gparted, installation went fine, but I can not boot. It gives me a "No bootable device" screen. If I start with the USB ISO image, it goes directly there. If I press ESC, it directs me to the GRUB2 command line. If I type exit, it shows me I can boot from my "unknown" SSD device. I press that, and it goes to Kubuntu. Same things was happening with Windows yesterday. It is like the partitions are there, but the disk is not reading them.

Can you help me?

Comment

Ok, fixed it. Browsing in other threads, I was able to find the option that the Acer BIOS gives you regarding trust UEFI files. I chose that, it listed three files, shim64x.efi, grubx64.efi and another I don't remember. Chose shimx64.efi and now Kubuntu starts normally. I wonder if this is only an Acer thing or not.

Would this also help when trying to fix dual booting?

Thanks!

Comment

Ok, fixed it.
          OK, good. I was only going to suggest (1) make sure your computer boots in UEFI mode, (2) make sure you use the Kubuntu 64-bit DVD installer (not the 32-bit), and (3) make sure you created an ESP.

Sounds like you've done all three. Good.

Dual-booting by entering your computer's UEFI firmware menus is one way to dual boot, no problem, but a little inconvenient. Sounds like your Acer isn't doing its thing, though.

You can also install an excellent boot manager called rEFInd -- many of us, including moi, have done that:
          https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post372221
          It will give you many and all options to get the darned computer booted! And it will not interfere with GRUB or with the Windows boot loader.

After you get booted into Kubuntu, you can check a few things, which you may already know about:

To see your boot order and UEFI BootOrder variables:
          sudo efibootmgr
          (or with the -v option: sudo efibootmgr -v; see man efibootmgr)
          What is listed first? THAT is what your Acer should try to boot first, automatically; if that doesn't work, your ACER UEFI firmware should then try the second thing listed in BootOrder. And so on.

To see that your GPT disk is recognized and OK:
          sudo gdisk -l /dev/sda
          (you may have to install gdisk: sudo apt-get install gdisk, or by using Muon Package Manager)

To see your UEFI GRUB boot files, open Dolphin, look in your ESP:
          open /boot/efi, then EFI/ then /ubuntu
          (your ESP is always mounted at /boot/efi, as seen from your Kubuntu root filesystem)
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Btw, to try to nudge your Acer UEI firmware to boot automatically into Kubuntu-GRUB, try this:

Boot into Kubuntu (any way you can).
            Issue these commands:
            sudo grub-install
            and
            sudo update-grub.

That re-installs GRUB2-EFI to the ESP (and creates a new GRUB boot menu /boot/grub/grub.cfg) and SHOULD trigger Acer to create and detect the NVRAM variable for your GRUB (like the shimx64.efi file).
            Last edited by Qqmike; Aug 07, 2015, 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling: firmware

Comment

Yes, I think my Acer wasn't recognizing anything, as when I tried the solutions I found online for the dual booting (mount partitions, mount efi and do grub-install), it gave me no errors but nothing happened. I guess it was that trust efi issue.

I will definitely use rEFInd when I install Windows again (I need both for work), so I do not have to go through the hassle of dealing with all this again.

Thanks again!

Comment

Did you catch Post #6?

Comment

I did that before, when I was trying to fix the dual boot, and, although it gave me no errors, I didn't have any boot option anyway. I found it strange.

Comment

Yeah, strange, indeed. Installing/re-installing GRUB to your Kubuntu OS should trigger the setup in firmware of a boot variable for that GRUB -- this is Acer's job to manage its UEFI firmware! But, you can press the magic key to enter firmware and select a boot option as you've done; also try rEFInd. Keep us posted how it goes and if you discover anything neat/weird/interesting.

Comment

Yes, very strange. As I said, I tried that many times, and didn't work. I will keep you posted when I when install Windows 8.1 with its subsequent upgrade to Windows 10. It is always a hassle to make both Linux and Windows boot dually, at least for me.

Thanks again!

Comment

Just had a thought. You might try clearing the CMOS on your computer's motherboard. I am not familiar with Acer (I have ASUS here). Your manual (Acer or motherboard -- maybe on-line Manuals) should tell how -- usually by messing with a jumper, with all power OFF, et cetera. That should clear all UEFI settings: the boot variables and your settings (like Secure Boot OFF, UEFI boot ON--which you would have to reset afterwards).

Comment

Ok, at least Kubuntu is rebooting correctly now.

Comment

Ok, at least Kubuntu is rebooting correctly now.
                            Kubuntu boots automatically without having to enter your UEFI firmware setup menus?

(sudo efibootmgr will show you how your UEFI firmware sees your Kubuntu in the BootOrder -- it should be listed there as "ubuntu")

Comment

Here's mine:

Code:
                              sudo efibootmgr
                              [sudo] password for mike: 
                              BootCurrent: 0000
                              Timeout: 1 seconds
                              BootOrder: [COLOR=#ff0000]0000[/COLOR],0003,0001,0004,000A,0005,0006,0002,000B,000C,0007,0008,0009
                              [COLOR=#ff0000]Boot0000[/COLOR]* [COLOR=#ff0000]ubuntu[/COLOR]
                              Boot0001* debian
                              Boot0002* grub_sda5K1504
                              Boot0003* rEFInd Boot Manager
                              Boot0004* Mint_2
                              Boot0005* Hard Drive 
                              Boot0006* CD/DVD Drive 
                              Boot0007* UEFI:CD/DVD Drive
                              Boot0008* UEFI:Removable Device
                              Boot0009* UEFI:Network Device
                              Boot000A* Mint_1
                              Boot000B* ubuntu
                              Boot000C* ubuntu
                              The one in red is my regular Kubuntu 14.04.

Comment

Working...
                              X