This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to redefine a user

I have two problems open: "Plasma taskbar hangs" (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Taskbar-hangs) and "Kontact fails because akonadi not operational" (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ot-operational).

They both seem to be related to the configuration of something or other. Because I created a new user, gave him the same groups and copied all but config files to him and he works just fine. (I keep my files in a separate file system mounted as a sub-directory, jon-files, so I copied that but left the default config files).

I have tried to copy the config files to the old user, but it is a mess and definitely did not work. When I log onto it, nothing happens -- black screen.

So I would like to be able to get rid of the old user and then rename the new one to the old one's name. Is this possible? It does not seem to be in kuser. Is it enough to modify /etc/passwd and /etc/group, or does Kubuntu have a DB somewhere with that info in it?

An alternative would be to delete the old user and then recreate him. But would I be able to assign him the new userid? I don't think groups would be a problem.

On the side, any ideas how I can muck up plasma by changing a config file? Of course, I don't remember what I may have done.

TIA.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

if you are talking about the configs ,,,, in your /home/you/.config ,,,just rename it .config.old ,,,,a default will be created on next login .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      if you are talking about the configs ,,,, in your /home/you/.config ,,,just rename it .config.old ,,,,a default will be created on next login .

VINNY
      Yes, but there are config files all over the place. For instance, amarok has config stuff in .kde/share/apps AND in .kde/share/config. Why two places? I would never have programmed it like that.

The question is, where does plasma have its configs?
      'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Some configs will be global, i.e. for all users, some will be user specific.

I'm no expert on Plasma but I'd be surprised it would be monolithic so I do expect separate configs for the various parts.

Comment

Working...
        X