This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whoah! What a makeover!

I just installed Kubuntu Vivid Vervet on a desktop PC that I just bought. What a change from 14.04, which is still on my laptop. This is a little like coming home to find your wife has dyed her hair blonde and has cut off an inch and has put in some curls. It looks really cool, I feel unsure about it, but I think I can grow to like it.

Now I'm off to configure this and install all my apps. Wish me luck. I have a ton of stuff to do since I highly customize my PCs.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Plasma 5 is very cool. Before it came out I had decided to stay with Trusty Tahr until it's EOL in 2019. However, P5 is giving me cause to reconsider. Arch's latest KDE release has the Plasma 5 desktop and I've been hammering on it as a guest OS. It is very stable and, in my experience, faster than KDE4. When I scale Arch and run it full screen even though it's a guest OS operating with only two cores and 4GB of RAM it is nearly as fast as my Trusty Tahr running on my hardware with four core and 6GB of RAM!
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      Plasma 5 is very cool. Before it came out I had decided to stay with Trusty Tahr until it's EOL in 2019. However, P5 is giving me cause to reconsider. Arch's latest KDE release has the Plasma 5 desktop and I've been hammering on it as a guest OS. It is very stable and, in my experience, faster than KDE4. When I scale Arch and run it full screen even though it's a guest OS operating with only two cores and 4GB of RAM it is nearly as fast as my Trusty Tahr running on my hardware with four core and 6GB of RAM!
      It's not all perfect just yet. Turns out there are some problems. One of them:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...239#post377239
      Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Aug 03, 2015, 09:24 AM.

Comment

See my reply in that thread
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Add backports ppa to get latest features and bugfixes.
          Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Originally posted by schnelle View Post
            Add backports ppa to get latest features and bugfixes.
            Thanks. I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Manjaro seems to have a very tight plasma 5 experience as well, this says quite a bit for the current state of arch I think.
              Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I agree. So far I've tried Debian 8 (JessieKDE), Linux Mint 17.1 KDE, the latest openSUSE KDE, and a coiutple others. Arch is by far the hardest to set up but is also the fastest and most stable Plasma 5 out there, IMO.

As a headless server I'd use it in a heartbeat, with upgrades on automatic. Once you get that far "packman -S gdm meta-kde-desktop" (or what evere its name was, I forget) and you've got Plasma 5. I also installed Gnome for kicks.

Comment

Working...
                X