This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kdewallet and kded5

When I boot 15.04 I get the following message while the wireless searches for a wi-fi source:

The application kded5 has requested to open the wallet kdewallet. Please enter the password for kdewallet below.

Since I don't use kdewallet I hit cancel, and then the box asking for my wireless encryption appears. I enter the password and hit enter and then the kded5 message appears again. Once again I cancel it, and it doesn't appear again and the wireless is activated. Just what is 'kded5'? Why does it need access to kdewallet? Kdewallet has always irritated me and now it's doing it again. Now this is a minor issue and does affect the running of 15.04, but as I'm running 15.04 experimentally (I use 14.04 for daily use) I'd like to clear this up. Any suggestions?

kded is the "kde daemon", it is a container of sorts for tiny plugins for things that don't have ti be run all the time, such as switching a timezone setting, or keyboard layout, or notifying you of low disk space, or to call kwallet when something needs it.

You can turn off the kwallet system from within System Settings
    Some like the convenience and portability of having passwords stored in one place, and they simply give it a blank password, which shuts off the kwallet password prompt.
    Others set their wifi connection to be available to all users, which enables it before login, and therefore does not use kwallet.

Since 14.10, Kubuntu has integrated kwallet's login with the user login, but I don't think it works with autologin enabled, and may just be broken for some.

Comment

KWallet was broken for me in 15.04 after upgrade. I followed Steve's advice to set a blank password just to be rid of it. I have no clue in the world how to set wifi before login except by not using NetworkManager and then it's easy.

Comment

Working...
      X