X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.04 stuttering

Hi there,

i fresh installed Kubuntu 15.04 (64bit) on my Laptop (Dell Vostro 3750 with i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD and NVIDIA 525GTm ... a pure developer machine ). Partitions were made completly new
    The BT and WLAN aint working as also the fingerprint scanner does not ... well ... thats not the main problem. There are plenty other WLAN options available and BT is not necessary for me.

The really big main problem is, that the desktop is stuttering like hell.
    Every ... hm about 10 seconds, it seems like that the desktop is freezed ... but it aint. Its working in the background, but the "graphics" of the desktop aint updated.
    Let me try to explain it a bit better.
    I am moving the mouse ... then the arrow stops while i am moving the mouse further ... and then the arrow immediately jump to the new position.
    Or i am writing some code in the developing IDE and i can see that no letters were written for a short period of time and then the whole text i am writing during the "freeze" is immediately there.

Hope you know what i mean
    I have this problem since the completly fresh install of Kubuntu 15.04

What i tried so far:
    Installed the NVIDIA driver directly from the settings dialog in Plasma 5 ... making it more worser. Stuttering freezes appearing in a shorter period of time.
    Also installed the intel driver package directly from settings dialog in Plasma 5 ... no effect.
    Deinstalled both drivers directly from the settings dialog in Plasma 5 ... effect is still there, but not as quite often as with NVIDIA driver installed.
    Installed the intel driver package alone directly from the settings dialog in Plasma 5 ... effect is getting better, but still there.

From this experience i would guess, that the problem has something to do with the graphics driver.
    Do you experts have any idea how i can solve this annoying problem?

Had installed OpenSUSE with Gnome3 before ... just to test SUSE but im feeling more home in the Ubuntu world
    The problems which i have with Plasma 5 now, werent there then ... so a hardware failure can be excluded

Best regards
    Oliver

PS: If the section i posted is not correct pls move it to the right one and sorry

Check the task manager (can't remember what it's called under plasma5) to see if there are any apps running in background that is using cpu. Also it may be an issue with the version of Nvidia driver your using, if you can, downgrade to previous stable version.

Edit: Plasma5 isn't quite ready for everyday usage so unless you have a really good reason to use Plasma5 consider going back to plasma-desktop (KDE4) until Plasma5 is stable, possibly around version 5.4 or 5.5.
    Last edited by Guest; Jul 10, 2015, 07:14 AM.

Comment

Well heading back to a previous version of Plasma aint possible on 15.04 ... as what i read to be honest

Reinstalled 14.04 Kubuntu on my laptop and the problems are gone now. I like the look and feel of Plasma 5 but its, as you also wrote, waaaaaay away from being stable all day long

Comment

If something is hogging your CPU to cause the stuttering, I would run htop from the console as that shows more details of the tasks and their CPU usage. You may have to install htop as the system already has top which is not quite as good. You can stop processes using System Settings and enter the task causing the problems.

I certainly like Plasma and it has a few rough edges, but it is quite usable.

Comment

I did a checkup with htop and found nothing which could be categorized as a reason for this behavior.

I am pretty sure the problem had something to do with the graphics drivers in using them with Plasma 5.
          Same hardware, same drivers, NO Plasma 5 but KDE4 (Kubuntu 14.04) and its running flawlessly

Comment

Sorry that you have had so much trouble. But since you have installed 10.04 you may not be in a position to try anything new.

In case you do, one other thing that I can think might solve the problem is to get into the terminal mode using alt+ctrl+F1 and then mv ./cache ./cache_old and then reboot. I have found that on occasion that the hidden file .cache gets corrupted and alters the desktop behaviour.

Comment

10.04?
              I am on 14.04 now

Comment

Working...
              X