Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE Plasma slows down during disk access.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma slows down during disk access.

Hey Guys

After playing around trying to figure out why the animations are slowing down, I realised that it happens when the disk is being used. Such as when copying/moving a file/folder(s) and running a Virtual Machine.
    Does anyone know a potential fix for this issue?

Thanks,
    Hamish

PC specifications please.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Dell Precision M4800:
      Intel i7 M4800MQ
      NVIDIA Quadro K1100M
      16GB RAM
      256GB SSD

Comment

What driver do you have for the nvidia?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Currently running NVIDIA 352.21. I've generated a Hardinfo report which you can download from here - https://mega.nz/#!RZRRFSRI!jgwFQRTLu...VME1UcDgRbOHu0.
          Last edited by Verequies; Jul 09, 2015, 10:20 PM.

Comment

The reason I asked about the graphics driver is that that's often a big factor in performance. Are other versions available that you can try? or possibly the nouveau driver? Unlikely to be better overall, but could certainly isolate the problem area.
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

I'll try switching to my Intel GPU and see if the performance issue is still there. Also try those other drivers.

Comment

Alright, so I switched to the Intel card and tested its driver. Runs a lot better than the NVIDIA from what I could tell. Tested the Nouveau driver, a lot of things were laggy but it didn't slow down during disk access. Went back to the NVIDIA driver and its the same as before. I guess the issue lies with the NVIDIA driver, any ideas on how to optimise performance?

Comment

Anything I could do to optimise the performance when using the NVIDIA GPU or is this issue something that can only be fixed by the developers?

Comment

Working...
                  X