X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA Screen Tearing Help

Hey Guys

Just recently installed Kubuntu 15.04 onto my Precision M4800. Just trying to fix a few issues. I've spent ages trying to get the NVIDIA screen tearing to go away, however I am unsuccessful. Intel screen tearing was an easy fix by enabling 'Tear Free' mode in the 20-intel.conf under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/. The Precision M4800 is configured more like a desktop in my opinion as the HDMI/DP ports are tied directly to the NVIDIA GPU. I have taken a backup with Redo Backup & Recovery and have been reverting to that every-time I have gotten a black screen on boot. My aim is to be able to put my laptop on my dock (Dell Dock), and have both my Monitor & Laptop display tear free. I have also installed the latest driver (352.21). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Hamish

Have done some more experimenting and have found that whenever I run the nvidia-settings on the laptop display it fails to generate a new xorg.conf. Also when undocking there is major graphical corruption.

Comment

Googling for "nvidia linux screen tearing" showed some results that appear promising. Look at dates and make sure that you're following relatively recent advice.

As for your situation with docking and undocking, it might not scope for the NVIDIA driver to support flicker-free operations there.

Comment

I've been playing around with the xorg.conf trying to get my laptop to display picture on the internal display when the NVIDIA card is enabled. However every-time I try to edit the configuration it gets reset on reboot. Currently I can only use the NVIDIA GPU on my internal monitor if my laptop is plugged into an external monitor otherwise it doesn't show up.

Comment

When I had a ThinkPad T520 with NVIDIA graphics, it worked fine using the laptop's internal display. There's apparently something different with Dell laptops here. Alas, I've never used one, so I can't offer suggestions.

Comment

Managed to get the NVIDIA Card working by turning of the Intel card in the BIOS. So far its okay, however sometimes when changing resolutions there is mass graphical corruption. Also animations are laggy and slow.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	corruption.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	642936
            Last edited by Verequies; Jul 07, 2015, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X