This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't load Kubuntu 15.04 using Windows Remote Desktop Connection and XRDP

I have Kubuntu 15.04 and using KDE Plasma 5.2.2 as the Desktop on a Hyper-V virtual machine running on my Surface Pro 3 with Windows 8.1. I have installed the latest version of XRDP installed (0.6.1-2) and tried to connect to my Kubuntu VM using Windows Remote Desktop Connection. I am able to connect and I get the standard XRDP login screen and was able to successfully login. However, all I get is a finely white/black checkered screen and cannot load the desktop.

Any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Is Kubuntu 15.04 and KDE Plasma 5.2.2 even compatible with XRDP anymore?

I was able to get this to work with Kubuntu 14.10.

It wouldn't surprise me if the changes made to KWin and the compositor for Plasma 5 won't work with XRDP. Would using VNC be an option for you?

Comment

I'm open to anything to getting this to work so I can connection/login using Windows Remote Desktop Connection, so I can see the display full screen. The default display resolution out-of-the-box is way too small and I can't seem to change the resolution any larger than about 1152x864. I will take a look at VNC.

Do you know if VNC actually works with Kubuntu KDE Plasma 5.2.2 or greater and Windows RDC?

Comment

I tried VNC, and, while that worked, it would not allow me to view the Kubuntu session full screen where the display resolution of the session matches the resolution of my display monitor. VNC only allowed me to view the session in the same display resolution as the desktop I'm trying to connect remotely. This won't work for me. Windows Remote Desktop Connection on 14.x versions of Kubuntu allowed me to view the session at the full resolution of my monitor. I used x11vnc as the server and TightVNC as the client.

Any other ideas?

Comment

It's probably related to Wayland. The X server runs on TOP of it. I guess if you have the same problem with regular Ubuntu 15.04 you can conclude it's not KDE/Plasma5.

I dont have a Winblows box right now though.

Comment

The issues I was having with regular Ubuntu, which was v14.04 and not 15.04, had to do with the Unity window/display manager that comes installed by default. It has been widely reported that the XRDP is no longer compatible with Ubuntu starting with either v13.x or 14.x, but worked fine in v12.x. I have tried other window managers like xfce and mate, but I don't like the interfaces for either. I really like the KDE / Plasma 5 interface and would really like to get it to work with Windows RDC to get it to use the full resolution of my monitor instead of the maximum of 1920x1080. My goal was to upgrade to KDE Plasma 5.3.x in order to have fixes that were done to address the KDE daemon crashing consistently when using Windows RDC in versions 14.04 and 14.10.

At this point, I can't get it to work with Windows RDC, although I have not heard anything that states that it won't work. In fact, I've read just the opposite that it should work, but I have not seen anything definite.

So, any help that anyone can give me on this forum would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard of Wayland, is there any way to disable it and see if that fixes the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
              It's probably related to Wayland. The X server runs on TOP of it.
              No. KWin in Kubuntu 15.04 is still an X compositor, and X runs as root. The Wayland protocol isn't being used yet.

Comment

Originally posted by rkanagy View Post
                The issues I was having with regular Ubuntu, which was v14.04 and not 15.04, had to do with the Unity window/display manager that comes installed by default.
                My suspicion is that XRDP isn't working with Plasma 5 for similar, but unrelated, reasons.

At this point, I can't get it to work with Windows RDC, although I have not heard anything that states that it won't work. In fact, I've read just the opposite that it should work, but I have not seen anything definite.
                Where have you seen reports that XRDP works with Plasma 5?

Comment

I know it's not the same but have you tried TeamViewer?

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                    I know it's not the same but have you tried TeamViewer?
                    I've tried it with x11vnc as the server on Linux and TightVNC as the client on Windows. That did work, but it did not give me a full screen, even when I configured TightVNC to go full screen. I've used TeamViewer for work, and I think the screen it shows matches the resolution of the desktop being shared. My goal is to connect to the Plasma 5 desktop so that I can view it full screen, like I have done with prior versions (v14.x) of kubuntu and Windows RDC. It does not matter how that is accomplished. I just want to be able to use Kubuntu with as much screen space as possible. Currently, the maximum I can get using Hyper-V on my Surface Pro 3 is 1920x1080, but my display on my Surface has a resolution of 2160x1440. I would like to be able to use Kubuntu 15.x at the full resolution of 2160x1440.

Whichever way that can be achieved does not matter, so long as it does not cost me any money.

So, any ideas on how I can achieve this goal would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

My goal is to connect to the Plasma 5 desktop so that I can view it full screen, like I have done with prior versions (v14.x) of kubuntu and Windows RDC. It does not matter how that is accomplished. I just want to be able to use Kubuntu with as much screen space as possible. Currently, the maximum I can get using Hyper-V on my Surface Pro 3 is 1920x1080, but my display on my Surface has a resolution of 2160x1440. I would like to be able to use Kubuntu 15.x at the full resolution of 2160x1440.

Whichever way that can be achieved does not matter, so long as it does not cost me any money.
                      I just wanted to mention that dual-booting linux and Windows 8.1 is not an option. I was able to get good performance using Hyper-V and remoting into the running Linux VM using Windows RDC running full screen.

Comment

x2go is very nice for remoting a linux system from a windoze, not sure if it supported on kub 15.x
                        but you can get what you are looking for in terms of full screen

I have used x2go from a surface 2 to full screen kubuntu 14 lts... so i can touch with it
                        Last edited by otisklt; Jun 29, 2015, 09:35 PM. Reason: more details
                        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
                        X