This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Energy management issue

Now I would like to solve another small problem. Energy Saving fails to manage the keyboard backlight. Precise manual adjustment of this feature works well (using shortcuts FN + F3 & Fn + F4), while in Energy Saving, nothing happens. Instead the screen brightness is perfectly handled automatically by the energy management.
    How could I solve it?
    N.B.: my laptop is an Asus Zenbook UX32VD
    Last edited by tuxdj; Jun 26, 2015, 01:55 PM.

You will need to enlist your Google-fu to find out if anyone has discovered how to do this -- each laptop's backlit is manufacturer-specific. Start with a search like "linux asus ux32vd backlight".

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      You will need to enlist your Google-fu to find out if anyone has discovered how to do this -- each laptop's backlit is manufacturer-specific. Start with a search like "linux asus ux32vd backlight".
      The only results that I found are inherent the manual settings of keyboard backlit. In my case it works, but it isn't managed by KDE Control Module (or Energy Saving). Otherwise I would not have asked in this forum.

Comment

There are no mechanisms in the power management module to handle keyboard backlights. You might be able to find a reference to where the backlight's state is monitored, probably in the /sys tree. Then you could write a script to enable or disable the backlight and configure energy settings to run this script.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          There are no mechanisms in the power management module to handle keyboard backlights. You might be able to find a reference to where the backlight's state is monitored, probably in the /sys tree. Then you could write a script to enable or disable the backlight and configure energy settings to run this script.
          Are you sure that there aren't mechanisms in kde control module? Imho I think that kde can control this feature because this option is really present in Energy Saving, so look this screenshot:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	backlit keyboard.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	642925
          But although this is enabled, it seems was not considered by the "Energy Saving"
          Last edited by tuxdj; Jun 27, 2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Wow -- that's not present in my power manager dialog. So apparently KDE has some sort of mechanism for detecting keyboard backlights and controlling them. On my X250, the backlight (controlled by Fn+Space) isn't even detected. On your machine, it is. But the control itself appears ineffective.

I'd recommend filing a bug at https://bugs.kde.org. This sounds more a like bug in KDE -- not working with your backlight -- than a bug in Kubuntu.

Thanks for persisting and including the screen shot.

Comment

Working...
            X