This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no useable GUI

I just downloaded via torrent Kubuntu 15.04 Everything went fine until x loaded the only a grayish screen with hash marks all across the screen. I have a Nvidia GeForce 6150 Se video card, I think this might be the issue. Is there any way around this? I would like to stay with KDE but seem to be having issues with it from any debian based distros.Thanks

Oh wow, I have something similar excepting that I get a black and white chequer board pattern. I have lost the panel, menu etc but fortunately it still starts up with Terminal so maybe I can salvage something?

Comment

I've just done a re-install of 14.04 which ran perfectly ok until now. However when I log in it gets half way through the display and then the screen breaks up completely. The nouveau driver is installed and the hardware is the GE6150.

If memory serves, when I used it before the display would come up along with a message box advising "change to a different driver".
      As this is the m/c my wife uses I installed 14.04 to an old Compaq for her while resolving this problem.

Comment

What is the username and password I think I have away or fixing the nvidia issue. It will have to be done will trying to boot the live DVD.

Comment

Last edited by tomp01; Jun 28, 2015, 03:19 PM.

Comment

On a live DVD is it something like user name=user password=user root =root password=root or something like this.I need to change the video card driver to run live. Don't know if this will work or not but it's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by sawer View Post
              On a live DVD is it something like user name=user password=user root =root password=root or something like this.I need to change the video card driver to run live. Don't know if this will work or not but it's worth a try.
              You don't need to do that if you can get krunner by typing Alt +F2 and running Systems Settings>Driver Manager. You change the NVIDIA driver there, I have already done that to change from the open source nouveau driver to the recommended NVIDIA one without success.

Comment

So does anybody know what is going on here? Do I wait for some updates hoping for a fix or just reinstall?
                Last edited by tomp01; Jun 28, 2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Quite surprised that nobody seems to have anything to contribute!

Comment

I've given up on install most ubuntu based OS's I've been trying for a couple of years but keep running into this video issue. I don't have that trouble with straight Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by sawer View Post
                      I've given up on install most ubuntu based OS's I've been trying for a couple of years but keep running into this video issue. I don't have that trouble with straight Debian.
                      I don't have this with other Ubuntu based distros. I have Zorin 9, Mint 17 and Ubuntu 14.10 itself and none of them suffer from this problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X