This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boot Issue with 15.04 Installation

I'm running into a major issue and have not been able to find a solution looking through the forum or web...

I upgraded from 14.10 and on first boot up, all worked fine. After rebooting, it goes into a Disk Check and it gets stuck at 1.0%. I quit the check and it booted into the emergency screen with a ACPI PCC Probe Error and Starting Version 219. I looked through the web but didn't find a solution so decided to just reinstall from scratch. I have now reinstalled 15.04 at least 3 times and on the last installation I also formatted the home partition. All installations work on the first boot up but rebooting either ends up on a black screen after initial boot or at the emergency screen. I have yet to boot into the GUI after the first time. I've also tried going the recovery route with similar results.

I've tried a few things including running:
    Code:
    systemctl enable sddm.service -f
    from the emergency or recovery shell but always end up with the following error:
    Code:
    Error getting authority: Error initializing authority: Could not connect: No such file or directory (g-io-error-quark, 1)
    I've also tried running but that was of no help either:
    Code:
    dpkg --configure -a
    I've checked the FSTAB and BLKID to ensure all looks right and didn't see any issues there.

I know there are issues with 15.04 but not even booting into it shouldn't be one (at least I hope ).

Appreciate any help!
    Freddie
    Last edited by pongolo; Jun 27, 2015, 05:53 PM.

Anyone?

Comment

I've read it, but don't know an answer.
      I suppose you have already checked ...
      http://askubuntu.com/questions/63136...connect-no-suc
      (=> fstab issue! re UUID)
      https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152830
      https://www.google.com/search?client...utf-8&oe=utf-8
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I'd ctrl-alt-F1 at the black screen and then run dmesg. If I had to make a wild guess I'd say video driver issue. Sounds like it's hanging when the graphical window manager loads. If your motherboard has built-in video try that card instead.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

I've already checked the /etc/fstab file and I didn't see any issues with the partition UUIDs when comparing them to blkid. Just to make sure, when installing 15.04, I've manually specified which partitions to use and formatted the /, /home, and /swap partitions which I hope creates a new /etc/fstab file.

What I don't get is that the first load works fine but dies on subsequent reboots. The system must be changing something during that first run. Unfortunately I'm not well versed in Linux to track it down so I need to struggle through it or just give up and go back to 14.10 until 15.10 comes out and it's potentially fixed.

Thanks,
          Freddie
          Last edited by pongolo; Jun 22, 2015, 05:25 PM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
            I'd ctrl-alt-F1 at the black screen and then run dmesg. If I had to make a wild guess I'd say video driver issue. Sounds like it's hanging when the graphical window manager loads. If your motherboard has built-in video try that card instead.
            I'm using the onboard video. I'll check on dmesg and report back.

Thanks,
            Freddie

Comment

So not the fstab.
              Continue with InsideJob on your diagnostics, as he indicates.
              And this, maybe:

This is from Arch, I didn't study it carefully, just scanned it, but Snark1994 did find this solution, a symlink issue (so it seems):
              Post #20 -- solved it
              https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=152830
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I dont have Internet at home -- just use it Starbucks -- so can't help "live". But if you can get into a text console then shutdown cleanly to avoid those disk checks.
                Code:
                sudo halt
                The only other thing I can think of is ureadahead which makes booting faster. The first time you boot it's not being used but second time it is.

Comment

I wasn't able to get too far as it appears that my boot drive just died . I'm not sure that is the source of problem as it was working fine yesterday but BIOS is not seeing it now and it's clicking when I power up the computer. Maybe that's the reason it kept stalling at 1.0% during the disk check.

I'll have to switch gears and get it replaced and see if that solves my problem. I'll report back when I get it replaced.

Appreciate all the help!
                  Freddie

Comment

Good luck on that. Will be curious how this turns out!

Comment

I finally replaced the failed hard drive and it looks like it fixed my problem.

I do have to say that installation was a bear on the new hard drive. I had problems on boot up every time if I did the manual config of the partitions. I was finally able to get it to boot after about 6 times.

Thanks again for the help.
                      Freddie

Comment

Whew! Good job! That seemed like a nasty error message you got, based on the cryptic posts around the Internet about it, as you know.

Comment

Working...
                        X