X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Notifications not working properly

Hi

I have a problem with notifications.

Firstly, notifications don't appear on the task bar when this has been set.

Secondly, the notification for Power - Charge Complete does nothing even though I've set it to play a sound, show a message in a popup and mark a task bar entry

Lastly the Accessibility - Modifier keys notification (all of the options) don't work... nothing happens

All these things worked ok in 14.14 so it's not hardware related....

Can anyone advise?

Regards

Sam

It wouldn't surprise me if you were using one of the newer nVidia drivers, if so try to use the 304 version or even nouveau instead.

Comment

Tanks Teunis

Hmmm, don't know how to do that. Is there a simple answer or should I start Googling?

Sam

Comment

There is a simple way to check

Open the System Manager and select the driver manager, it will tell you if there are any additional (proprietary) drivers available or already installed.

If you don't recall having explicitly allowed the installation of such a driver they are not (yet) installed.
        Especially Intel cards don't need any extra drivers anyway.

And if you know the model of your computer or motherboard we can ask google for the type of video card it sports.

Comment

Thanks,

ok, I'd already looked in the driver manager and all that's in there is the network card driver.

I don't recall explicitly choosing any additional drivers when I did the upgrade, so to me that means it has the same drivers it had before.....

So I'd say my notification problem isn't driver related. Yes?

Comment

Do you ?

If you run a command:
            Code:
            wall 'Hi there!'
            Do you get the notification ?

Have you tried to make a new user and check if the new user has a working notification system ?

Comment

Hi samop, no that's not associated with the nVidia issues...

Comment

Hi

Thanks for that.

Generally notifications do work. The only things that aren't working are that nothing will mark a task bar entry, and there are no notifications at all for the "Power - charge complete" event... so I did a "wall" and it gave notification popups as expected....

but still no task bar.

I did try creating a new user and that behaved exactly the same....

btw I now get a repeatable crash when I unplug the mains power and it tries to write a task bar entry and I've raised that as a bug but that may be a red herring

Any other thoughts?

Samop

Comment

.... anyone ?

Comment

Working...
                  X