This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not running kde startup or shutdown scripts

In addition to video problems (the background flickering) and menu problems (no icons for gtk applications; can't edit icons), yet another problem has surfaced. I cannot run any startup scripts, and the shutdown script is not running.

1. Things that should be starting when kde starts, like hp-systray and kshowmail, just crash, with an error window appearing that says they can't find the system tray. This is probably because kde startup is very slow. The solution would appear to be to start them not in /etc/xdg/autostart, but in ~/.config/autostart using a shell script that has a built in sleep timer. Did that, the script itself works. But when I try to add it using SystemSettings>Startup_and_Shutdown, it adds the script, the symlink appears in ~/.config/autostart, and all looks fine, except it does not run on login. When I go back into SystemSettings > Startup_and+_Shutdown, the script has vanished, although it is still there in .config/autostart. So basically I cannot run any startup scripts because, for some reason, the system just won't update its configuration files, wherever those might be.

2. Shutdown happens without logging out of kde, or running the script located in SystemSettings>Startup_and_shutdown. The script did actually add there, but never executes. There does not seem to be a .config/shutdown directory. The reason seems to be that the system is doing some sort of hard shutdown, like ALT-SysRq-O, without ever going through the kde or system shutdown scripts. I don't know if it's even syncing the file system, but I do know the cleanup script I run on logout isn't executing at all.
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

(If I'm off on the wrong tangent please correct me)

As I see it the hp widget is still looking for a KDE4 style system tray and can no longer find it.
    Booting and shut down are now supposedly handled by systemd so I imagine old style scripts need to be replaced.

Comment

As I see it the hp widget is still looking for a KDE4 style system tray and can no longer find it.
      I think that may be part of the problem with that application specifically, though if I start it manually from inside a terminal, as with hp-systray & it starts and goes in the system tray, and works just fine. Other things that I run in the startup script (ie kshowmail) also are not starting. But the main problem is that the system settings>startup menu is not showing the script, nor is kde running it.

Booting and shut down are now supposedly handled by systemd so I imagine old style scripts need to be replaced.
      I am assuming (and that's a dangerous thing to do) that the startup and shutdown options that are accessed through the kde system settings menu pertain to kde startup and kde shutdown (i.e. login and logout) and not systemd stuff.
      Those are not working as I have described. There may be an additional problem with how systemd is shutting down; the only thing I have to compare it with is debian Jessie, where shutdown seems to be a much more deliberate process. But that is probably not relevant to kde start and shutdown.

I also notice that after starting kde, looks like a bunch of startup scripts are sleeping, and not completing:

Code:
       [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]greenman@Crynfyd:~$ ps aux | grep start [/COLOR]
      root      2184  0.0  0.1 215180 12940 ?        SLl  18:14   0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
      sddm/sddm-helper --socket /tmp/sddm-authea1461c6-0272-47cb-9dce-6274c480368e --id 1 --start
       /usr/bin/startkde --user greenman 
      greenman  2198  0.0  0.0  10924   908 ?        S    18:14   0:00 /usr/bin/ck-launch-session
       /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch /usr/bin/startkde 
      greenman  2333  0.0  0.0  16860   228 ?        Ss   18:14   0:00 /usr/bin/gpg-agent --daemo
      n --sh --write-env-file=/home/greenman/.gnupg/gpg-agent-info-Crynfyd /usr/bin/ck-launch-ses
      sion /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exit-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch /usr/bin/startkde 
      greenman  2404  0.0  0.0   4472  1664 ?        S    18:14   0:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/startkde 
      greenman  2407  0.0  0.0  24484  1912 ?        S    18:14   0:00 /usr/bin/dbus-launch --exi
      t-with-session /usr/bin/im-launch /usr/bin/startkde 
      greenman  2508  0.0  0.0   6292   100 ?        S    18:14   0:00 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/
      libexec/kf5/start_kdeinit --kded +kcminit_startup 
      greenman  2516  0.2  0.8 681732 71648 ?        Sl   18:14   0:00 kcminit_startup [kdeinit5]

greenman  2600  0.1  0.9 707508 73648 ?        Sl   18:14   0:00 /usr/bin/kactivitymanagerd
       start-daemon 
      greenman  2647  0.1  0.1 441036 12264 ?        S<l  18:14   0:00 /usr/bin/pulseaudio --star
      t --log-target=syslog 
      greenman  3099  0.0  0.0   9496  2092 pts/1    R+   18:16   0:00 grep start

[/FONT]
      We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

Bug 338242 - script-files don't work anymore in autostart-directory: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=338242
        15:48 <mschiff> rdieter_work: so a workaround for now would be to create and use a .desktop file
        Try Me !

Comment

Thanks for the info. Seem to be an awful lot of bugs these days.

Comment

Working...
          X