This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kded4 using too much cpu

kded4 is maxing out one of the cores of my cpu.
    First, why is kded4 even running? I am using the new kde 5.4. So why is old kded4 still running?

On a reboot, it starts out fine, but then ramps up cpu usage. it is also taking up progressively more memory.
    The System Monitor shows that it is using progressively more [heap] space.
    What can I do to help solve this?

Mixed bag

Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...n-t-auto-mount

Kubuntu 15.04 is a mix of the new KF5 applications and old KDE4 applications. Some of the services has not (yet) ported to the KF5. You could lauch the KDE4 service manager from the command line:

Code:
    kcmshell4 kcmkded

Comment

The culprit is Baloo, at least look at file indexing or in ksysguard at processes like baloo_file.

Comment

I had already turned off file indexing, so baloo is not showing up as a problem.

Comment

Diid you use ksysguard as a tool to monitoring your resources? In my case about 25% or more are used by baloo. In your case there should be a other.

Comment

ksysguard shows kded4 taking up 25% of my cpu (which is 100% of one of the four cores) and a steadily increasing memory.
            When I right click on the kded4 process and choose "Detailed Memory Information", it shows a steadily increasing [heap].

Is there a SAFE way to kill and restart it, other than logging out and then back in?

Comment

Bug 271934 - kded4 process grows on memory usage (possible leak): https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=271934
              If this is reproducible, please disable kded4 modules in "System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Service Manager" to see which one is the culprit.

Some modules cannot be disabled there. To disable such a module, remove its .desktop file from /usr/share/kde4/services/kded/, run kbuildsycoca4, and restart kded4.
              Clarification: This bug only tracks kded memory leaks that are related to Power Management. In other words, if you can reproduce ever growing memory usage in kded process with that kded module disabled, please report a new bug stating which module is responsible.

To disable the Power Management module, run "systemsettings" or "kcmshell4 kded", and disable it in Startup and Shutdown > Service Manager > Startup Services. You can also temporarily remove powerdevil.desktop from share/kde4/services/kded/ path.
              killall -HUP kded4

results in about a minute or so of furious CPU activity (100% of one core), and then either: a) things work OK for a while (unlikely); or b) kded4 eventually goes away (most common).
              etc...
              Try Me !

Comment

Working...
              X