X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google Chrome slow to load

Hello folks

I've updated my HTPC to Kubuntu 15.04 and I've switched to SDDM display manager. I can say it's running really nice, really enjoying the new changes!

There is only one problem I have, that being Google Chrome and/or Chromium take a very long time to start. Before I upgraded, when I clicked on Chrome it took a second or less to load and open the window. Now, it takes about 1 minute from clicking Chrome before the browser opens. In the meanwhile there is a bouncing Chrome icon on the pointer, then it disappears entirely. About another 30 seconds later Chrome actually opens. Nothing seems to happen in the interim.

Does anyone know what's wrong?

Thanks

I would try deleting the chrome and chromium bits in ~/.cache.

And then the same in ~/.config if clearing the cache doesn't do it.

Comment

I've deleted all those (google-chrome and chromium directories in ~/.config ~/.cache) and still the same problem.

Comment

Starting Chrome from inside a terminal *might* give you some clues.

Brute force: Uninstall Chrome, re-delete all the .config and .cache bits, logout (or restart), re-install Chrome.

Chrome is working fine here, so it isn't Chrome itself. I assume it isn't a weird graphics issue since you don't mention this problem with other programs.

Comment

Thanks for the tip - it seems the problem is to do with kwallet:

Code:
          [2067:2100:0507/131812:ERROR:logging.h(775)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KWallet.isEnabled: object_path= /modules/kwalletd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)
          [2067:2100:0507/131812:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(230)] Error contacting kwalletd (isEnabled)
          [2067:2100:0507/131812:ERROR:logging.h(775)] Failed to call method: org.kde.KLauncher.start_service_by_desktop_name: object_path= /KLauncher: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files
          [2067:2100:0507/131812:ERROR:native_backend_kwallet_x.cc(198)] Error contacting klauncher to start kwalletd
          Edit:
          Problem solved by enabling the kwallet subsystem through kcmshell4 kwalletconfig.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X