This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wrong Keyboard Layout Pre-Login

Does anyone know how to force SDDM to use the correct keyboard layout? I'm Irish so I want IE or GB instead of US. For instance in the SDDM.conf

Thanks

Thomas

I'm still coming up empty on the wrong keyboard layout problem except now I've discovered that I also haven't access to terminal by way of ctrl+alt+f1 or f2 and so on.

I don't upgrade as a rule so as usual I installed Kubuntu 15.04 from scratch and this is with a ATI graphics card.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Guest; May 02, 2015, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Well, the issue is the system is not using the right local (hence why SDDM is using the wrong keyboard layout). I've never had to change the local or keyboard layout of the system. But the best way I can think of would be to boot up the install disk (be it a DVD or USB key, etc) you made and then use a terminal and chroot into your install. From there you should be able to change the local and keyboard layout of the installed OS. You'll have to check on what tools to use. But chrooting into your installed system will give you the terminal and tools required to make changes even though you have not booted it up directly.
      Last edited by nukedathlonman; May 03, 2015, 02:10 PM. Reason: Typo corrections...

Comment

chrooting into your install you can use the command setxkbmap to make x to use your proper locale (so us, gb, etc)

You can also update the whole console if it's the wrong locale when you chroot into you install:
        apt-get install console-common console-data
        dpkg-reconfigure console-data

And one final way, you can also just configure the keyboard: dpkg-reconfigure keyboard-configuration
        Last edited by nukedathlonman; May 03, 2015, 02:25 PM.

Comment

With LightDM all you had to do was put a simple command in lightdm.conf but with sddm (March 2014 - https://github.com/sddm/sddm/issues/202) you put setxkbmap IE in /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup That doesn't work in Kubuntu 15.04

As for my tty1 tty2 problem, well that's due to fglrx driver because I got the same result with Xubuntu 15.04 with fglrx. I tried this command sudo sed -i -e 's/#GRUB_TERMINAL/GRUB_TERMINAL/g' /etc/default/grub and sudo update-grub but of course I knew it was a shot in the dark - so instead I've switched back to the opensource driver.

Comment

Working...
          X