Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

After new install Kubuntu 15.04 panel freezes while existing app still functions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After new install Kubuntu 15.04 panel freezes while existing app still functions.

Before anything else, I would just like to say, I just love the look and feel of Kubuntu 15.04.

I recently added 32GB of new matching memory to my computer, so I am not sure if my posted problem is memory related or the new version of Kubuntu, perhaps just an adjustment to correct in the BIOS, however, I just love the new distribution and am anxious to use it.

I have Kubuntu 14.10 installed on another drive, so I have access to a sable OS which doesn't experience the same problem,

After opening the computer, I can move through the choices until I select, pretty much, any application or feature. Once a selection is made, I can use that package without any obvious problems, however when I attempt to leave that application to continue with another, all items on the panel appear to freeze.

I enjoy a film in the background while working; I am mostly alone and like a voice-in-the-room, so I installed Netflix.

When opening my computer and moving to the Netflix site, everything operates normally, including changing to another film selection, adjustments of sound or aspect ratio, etc., but if I attempt to open an additional application to perform work with the voice-in-the-background, the panel freezes and I have to restart to continue.

I contacted the manufacturer of my new RAM to see if there was any history of the same problem after installing new memory. He suggested an increase of DRAM voltage in increments of .05, not to exceed 1.8v might stabilize the problem, which I did until closely approaching the 1.8v limit. I stopped at 1.78v.

This did not stabilize the performance of the OS, so I returned to the level I started. At this point I don't reject the possibility that there are adjustments in BIOS which can solve the problem, but it looks more like a bug in the new OS.

I read every post in this area of the forum and only one post has any resemblance to my problem, with no solutions mentioned, so perhaps I have a hardware problem.

Anyone with a similar problem, please reply.

Thanks!

Shab

AMD 8-core @ 4.00Ghz
    32GB GSkill Ares 1866 DDR3 SDRAM
    XFX 2GB DDR5 Video
    128GB SSD (Kubuntu 15.04)
    256GB SSD (Kubuntu 14.10)
    TB HDD 6GB/s
    TB HDD 3GB/s

You replaced that 32 GB RAM w/new, your other OS 14.10 works OK, so for now, to be "safe," I would not assume it is your hardware (and end up chasing HW issues that might not exist--if it ain't broke, don't fix it, kind of thing). I would assume it is 15.04 for now, and pursue any tips the guys give you here first, which, again, you can do safely as you have 14.10 to fall back on.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

On 15.04 I've seen all kinds of things lock up when running a particular video driver (nVidia 340 or 346).
      Things work fine when on Nouveau or nVidia 304, 14.10 has no problems at all.

So my hunch is there's a problem in 15.04.

Comment

Thanks friend, I realize I am not experienced enough to be using 15.04 yet, but I want the experience. I am hoping things settle soon; I really like the new issue. Those moments when 15.04 is working properly are just terrific.

Thanks for the advice. I will just check for updates and upgrades at various times of the day.

If this is a bug, will my comment have any impact to help the developers, or is it just perhaps an annoying repeat that they would rather not hear? I sense things have changed about reporting.

If the developers would rather hear from guru's like yourself, I understand; I just want to help, if my comments are useful.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        On 15.04 I've seen all kinds of things lock up when running a particular video driver (nVidia 340 or 346).

Comment

The only thing I know to do is: sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade to get current with the work the developers are doing. Is that correct? Additionally, I do it several times each day, whenever I remember, hoping to catch a fix that resolves the problem.

I was able to play some movie files today using VLC. The sound and picture quality were outstanding. I took time and configures settings and preferences without difficulty, however when I closed that application the desktop was frozen again. Kicker would not open, so I had to Hard-Shutdown. I worry that so many Hard-Shutdowns will damage my OS, but if I want to keep updating, I have to open and use the OS.

Should I update less often to minimize the number of Hard-Shutdowns?

Each time I am able to do work on Kubuntu 15.04, I enjoy the application. I believe it will be a tremendous improvement and pleasure to use.

You guys who are smarter than I, what would you do if every time you opened a new system, you had to Hard Shutdown when you needed to close the OS? Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          You replac I would assume it is 15.04 for now, and pursue any tips the guys give you here first, which, again, you can do safely as you have 14.10 to fall back on.

Comment

Like I was saying in my other reply, I update and upgrade daily to see if I can catch the cure when the developers resolve the problem, but that involves a Hard Shut Down every time I open Kubuntu 15.04. My video card is reasonably new, XFX R7850, PCI Express 3.0, 2gb DDR5, AMD Radeon Graphics. My CPU is an 8 core AMD @ 4Ghz, and I have 32GB DDR3 SDRAM 1866.

Following your hunch, what should I do? I like what I see so much, I can't help revisiting the application to update several times a day.

I have a fast machine, but in 15.04 I believe I experience an increase in speed of everything that happens. Thanks for your input.

Originally posted by Teunis View Post

Comment

Working...
            X