X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel wireless died

Hi,

I upgraded my DELL latitude D820 laptop to Kubuntu 15.04 as suggested by Kubuntu. Everything works ok for me, except one crucial thing.

The wireless card stopped working, although it is loaded in the kernel.
    Hardware info of the card: intel Pro/wireless 3945ABG [Golan]

I tried to unload and reload the module with:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r iwl3945
    sudo modprobe iwl3945
    output from lspci -v for the card:
    Code:
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Device 1021
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 29
        Memory at efdff000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [c8] Power Management version 2
        Capabilities: [d0] MSI: Enable+ Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
        Capabilities: [e0] Express Legacy Endpoint, MSI 00
        Capabilities: [100] Advanced Error Reporting
        Capabilities: [140] Device Serial Number 00-18-de-ff-ff-70-c5-c0
        Kernel driver in use: iwl3945
    Jan Willem

You might describe "not working" a bit more?

I am using the exact wifi card in my Dell d630 to send this, it is likely not the driver - you would have gotten an error if the driver did not load correctly. Are you unable to connect, or are you unable to even see any access points, or is wifi disabled?

I would try switching off the wifi, then removing the access point you usually connect to, and try re-adding it after switching wifi back on . I have had to do this in the past with Network Manager upgrades on this card , though not for Vivid.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      You might describe "not working" a bit more?

I am using the exact wifi card in my Dell d630 to send this, it is likely not the driver - you would have gotten an error if the driver did not load correctly. Are you unable to connect, or are you unable to even see any access points, or is wifi disabled?
      There are no accesspoints available, because the manager doesnt recognize the card anymore. Wifi is hardware enabled (switch on the left-side ofthe laptop is on ON. So although the card shows in lspci no hardware is recognized by the manager.

I would try switching off the wifi, then removing the access point you usually connect to, and try re-adding it after switching wifi back on . I have had to do this in the past with Network Manager upgrades on this card , though not for Vivid.
      I tried switching it of and on. Loading de modules again, no effort at all. The wired connection and USB-thetering trough my phone is working ok.

Maybe I have to physical remove the card, run linux and then reinsert the card, but that's for later today.

any other idea's are welcome....

Comment

I don't think that network Manager handles hardware, but only connections (I may be wrong, though).

It may be redundant, but also make sure that the wifi button is not un-checked:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot13.png
Views:	1
Size:	141.5 KB
ID:	642845

Comment

it works again

I don't think that network Manager handles hardware, but only connections (I may be wrong, though).
          I know, but it has to recognize the hardware to offer a connection...
          It may be redundant, but also make sure that the wifi button is not un-checked:
          [ATTACH=CONFIG]5998[/ATTACH]
          The button was checked,
          I unchecked it and checked it again and it works again. (WTF! I just don know what triggered it this time, i tried it yesterday 3 or 4 times and nothing happend!)

Thanks anyway for your time and effort.

Comment

Working...
          X