This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded to 15.04; GUI broken - can't login

Thus far, I have nothing but negative things to say about my Vivid Vervet experience.

I tried repeatedly over the last few months to test out Vivid while it was in alpha and beta, by creating a virtual machine and attempting to install it from the ISO images provided by Kubuntu devs. I was never able to install it - the installer always froze or crashed, which was an ominous sign. It left me thinking, This software is just not ready for primetime.

And so it was with much trepidation that I decided to upgrade my spare desktop to Vivid from Utopic. (My production machines are on the Trusty LTS release and will stay on that release.)

This machine is, in some respects, my guinea pig. It's an older desktop without a lot of power - not my daily driver. I keep it on the latest stable release of Kubuntu, and it's about as close to vanilla as it gets. Not a lot of extra packages on it, and uses mostly default settings.

The past half dozen or so upgrades I've run on it have been without incident. But after upgrading to 15.04, I find I cannot login to the GUI. I can get in to the command line and that's it.

When Kubuntu boots, I see the logo, then the screen turns black and I see a line of text which reads "starting version 219". This disappears after a moment and the screen turns black.

Then my screens flashes white. Shortly thereafter a crash window appears, defaulting to the General tab. It says:

Code:
    We are sorry, sddm-greeter closed unxpectedly.

You cannot report this error, because sddm-greeter does not provide a bug reporting address.

Details:

Executable: sddm-greeter PID: 765 Segmentation fault (11) Time: 4/24/15 20:56:59
    This happens every time. Of course, the timestamp changes. Otherwise, the error is the same. Clicking Restart Application brings up a white screen with an X pointer.

What gives? I've already tried updating and upgrading packages. Everything is current. The error persists. This computer has no accessible GUI interface for the time being.

Nvidia card? Several reports here of problems. I use nouveau, so haven't followed closely, but they seem to vary from getting to a console then uninstalling nvidia, re-installing nvidia, or running the nvidia config, etc.

Unless you need to struggle through an upgrade, a fresh install will likely save you a lot of trouble.

Comment

No Nvidia driver is in use on this system.

There was no struggle to upgrade. That part went fine. The issue is that the system cannot load Plasma Desktop now that the upgrade has finished.

Comment

Working...
      X