X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nvidia blob and black screen

Hi,

I just installed Kubuntu 15.04 and everything were fine.. till I installed proprietary nvidia driver. After restarting the computer I can't login, because there's only black screen. However, when I choose grub recovery mode and then resume from the recovery menu system boots and proprietary nvidia driver works. It just doesn't work on normal boot. Nouveau works, though. Any suggestions?

PS. I've also tried the newest driver from xorg edgers ppa.

same problem here...

Same problem here, but with some differences. I installed Kubuntu 15.04 and it was working without problem. Then something changed (I dont' know what) and I see a black screen only after login. ALT+F2 works but I can't start any software with it, I only see the usual grey box in the top of the black screen.
    I don't have nvidia hardware and did not install any nvidia drivers either ;-)

Any idea on how to fix it?

Pawel, how/where do you choose grub recovery mode?

EDIT;
    I reinstalled Kubuntu 15.04 with formattting of /
    Problem still exists, so it must be something in the home folder (settings?)...

Comment

I solved it by typing: sudo nvidia-xconfig. I wonder why it's not used by default?

Pawel, how/where do you choose grub recovery mode?
      I dual boot with windows and when I launch computer there's a grub menu where I can choose boot options. If you have only Kubuntu installed check this:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode

However, I didn't mount anything, but only chose 'resume'.

EDIT:

Ooops, I've missed that part: I don't have nvidia hardware and did not install any nvidia drivers either ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by thomas-in-S View Post
        Same problem here, but with some differences. I installed Kubuntu 15.04 and it was working without problem. Then something changed (I dont' know what) and I see a black screen only after login. ALT+F2 works but I can't start any software with it, I only see the usual grey box in the top of the black screen.
        I don't have nvidia hardware and did not install any nvidia drivers either ;-)

EDIT;
        I reinstalled Kubuntu 15.04 with formattting of /
        Problem still exists, so it must be something in the home folder (settings?)...
        This happened to me a lot during Beta, and I did a clean install of relaease and it happened again! If it's the same problem, when you hit the black screen hit ctrl-alt-f1 and do a console login, then try

sudo chown -R yourusername /home/yourusername

For me something had happened to permissions that was causing the problem. As far as nvidia drivers, again, during Beta they caused me enormous problems, but bumblebee sorted it out. Pawel.pc44 are you using bumblebee?

Comment

Originally posted by cebo View Post
          For me something had happened to permissions that was causing the problem. As far as nvidia drivers, again, during Beta they caused me enormous problems, but bumblebee sorted it out. Pawel.pc44 are you using bumblebee?
          No, I don't have the bumblebee installed.

Comment

for me adding the nouveau.noaccel=1 parameter to the boot line works well. but my nvidia card is older. 15.04 is working well here
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

I had the same problem when I installed the beta2 over an existing 14.04 /home and I was also able to use the recovery mode.
              Because it had many other problems I did a new install with the release on a clean /home and it boots fine.

Comment

Working...
              X