X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot log in after upgrade

Hi,
    I've upgraded to 15.04 from 14.10 today, and I cannot log in afterwards. Login screen appears, I enter my credentials, KDE loading bar gets shown for a few seconds and the login screen appears again. What can I do to diagnose the problem?

how did you do the upgrade ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I used muon updater.

Comment

I experienced the same until I changed the session to the plasma desktop.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Similar problem here. Updated using muon and now when trying to login I'm either thrown back into the login screen or stuck in a black screen with a cross-like pointer.
          Already got rid of the nvidia drivers and the old .kde files but error persist T_T

Comment

Same here: upgraded from Muon and getting the same behaviour when trying to log in.

But I have three other info that may be helpfull:
            1) right before be thrown back to the login screen, the message "starting version 219" appears on a blank screen
            2) my login screen seems to be with a wrong resolution: it looks wider than usual. Maybe this is causing the problem...
            3) the login screen loads perfectly, but when I type the first character of my password, it "loses" resolution and all the text gets blurred. It is pretty strange, but I think it suggests problems with the graphic card (I have a basic nvidia)

Any ideas?
            Kubuntu 15.10 - Asus All-in-one (i3, 4GB ram)

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
              I experienced the same until I changed the session to the plasma desktop.
              I have the Plasma and Failsafe options for sessions. Neither of them are working...

Comment

When I run startx from a terminal, I get a screen flash and "xinit: connection to X server lost". Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by krojew View Post
                  When I run startx from a terminal, I get a screen flash and "xinit: connection to X server lost". Any ideas?
                  Are you getting the same error as the other in this thread?

Comment

Originally posted by trintadosete View Post
                    Are you getting the same error as the other in this thread?
                    As the other who?

Comment

As the other who?
                      Sorry... I just saw you are the creator of the thread! Shame on me!

Comment

(nevermind this post)

Comment

Finally managed to fix it by installing nvidia-346 driver over nvidia-340.

Comment

How you did it? I mean, I dont know how to install a new nvidia driver from command line.

Comment

I did that too and now I can login into plasma but only using the previous kernel 3.16 (if I remember correctly) instead of the 3.19.
                              Anyway, I'm not able to switch prime profile to nvidia, stuck in intel (or that is what the gui says).

To install nvidia from command line, you can find that in less than 2 mins in google. Something on the line sudo apt-get install nvidia-346 but you should purge previous versions.

Comment

Working...
                              X