This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel Bay Trail Graphics

Now that I got my other issues I'm left with one glaring problem, OpenGL on my Pentium N3540. Apparently this used to be called an Atom CPU but Intel rebranded it. Also apparently, it used to be code-named Valley View Gen7 or something like that. Why the name changed I'm not sure, but under earlier versions of K/Ubuntu it still shows up that way.

This is what happens when I click OpenGL in KInfoCenter:

It locks up solid. At random times the application launcher also locks me up. I've cut back on desktop effects and that seems to help. 3D gaming is out out the question at this point. I was going to try kernel 4.1 but Canonical has yet to compile a stable version. Not looking for help at this point -- I'm pretty sure I've tried everything -- just noting it so others experiencing problems won't think it's them.

Here's my system info:
    ~$ inxi -CG
    CPU: Quad core Intel Pentium N3540 (-MCP-) cache: 1024 KB
    clock speeds: max: 2665 MHz 1: 499 MHz 2: 499 MHz 3: 499 MHz 4: 499 MHz
    Graphics: Card: Intel Atom Processor Z36xxx/Z37xxx Series Graphics & Display
    Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa)
    Resolution: 1600x900@60.1hz
    GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Bay Trail GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 10.5.2

Try changing the compositing type from OpenGL 3.0 to OpenGL 2.0:

System Settings > Desktop Effects > Advanced > Compositing type
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

That's the default setting. The only other option is OpenGL 3.1 for some reason. My latest bleeding edge Intel driver says OpenGL 3.0 so I was afraid to even try that.

Comment

Originally posted by InsideJob View Post
        I was going to try kernel 4.1 but Canonical has yet to compile a stable version.
        "unstable" shouldn't be interpreted literally. This kernel is straight from the source tree, with a few Ubuntu-specific patches added. It hasn't gone through extensive testing that you'd want for production servers, but it's sufficiently useful on desktop systems. Give it a try.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          "unstable" shouldn't be interpreted literally.
          I'm glad they're not being literal, because it looks like everything went to heck in a handbag around RC3.

In any case, the Intel DRM Next branch hasn't been updated since RC8 so I've got to wait for that version anyway.
          http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...rm-intel-next/

Comment

The only obvious thing is that something changed between v4.1-rc2-vivid and v4.1-rc3-unstable. I doubt there's any "heck in a handbag"ery here at all -- more likely just a process change. I've asked for clarification: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...907&p=13310165

Comment

That's a lot of doubt and uncertainty. I was going to send Linus an email to let him know Canonical has declared all his release candidates less than stable (I don't want to be too literal), or maybe they're referring to his mental state, I dunno. Penguin attacks can leave long-lasting scars.

Comment

Do you even know what "Debian unstable" is?

Comment

That sounds like a personal attack, please ban yourself in accordance with forum rules. Duh!

I know what heck in a handbag looks like:
                  Kubuntu 15.10 Could Be The End Of The Road

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Kubuntu-15.10-Worrying-State
                  http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ell-Steps-Down

They have a very lively discussion over there thanks to competent administration of their forums. I've never heard anyone called a troll for expressing a dissenting opinion.

Comment

Working...
                  X