This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting Kubuntu drops into emergency mode

Booted Kubuntu today and it displayed a message that 3 disks were being checked, 0% complete and hung there. Had a power outage while hung.

When I try to reboot now, Kubuntu displays a message. Something about APCI PCC probe failed. I think that is the message, but it flashes by far too fast to be certain.

Is there anything that I can do to recover from this or is a reinstall from DVD the only recovery?

Are you able to boot into Recovery (Single User) mode?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Under GRUB I don't see any Recovery Mode. There ise the Advanced option which just gives me the option of the last 2 kernals. I tried the next to last and that starts the Kubuntu boot also and again drops me into the emergency mode. I can maybe give some commands in that since the command line is there. If I try the Ctrl-D option it just comes back to the same thing.

Comment

Those 'last two kernels' "should" each have an entry that ends with: (recovery mode)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          Those 'last two kernels' "should" each have an entry that ends with: (recovery mode)
          You are right. That brought up a display with 8 options. Is there one there that will recover the system?

Comment

One thing to do--possibly in addition to the Recovery Snowhog is helping you with--is to shutdown the PC properly (K > Leave etc), then pull the electricity to the power supply unit, let the PC sit 5 minutes (or some minutes), plug the PC back in to the electricity, press Power On button, and let it boot up. Just for the hulluva it, as you had a power failure. Does that help? If not, and If software Recovery mode doesn't help, you might also try clearing your PC's CMOS (where you move a jumper with the power OFF or you remove the battery and so on -- best to consult the PC manual on this, each is a bit different)--but that will re-set your "BIOS" settings, so if you have some special settings, you want to make note of them before resetting CMOS.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
              One thing to do--possibly in addition to the Recovery Snowhog is helping you with--is to shutdown the PC properly (K > Leave etc), then pull the electricity to the power supply unit, let the PC sit 5 minutes (or some minutes), plug the PC back in to the electricity, press Power On button, and let it boot up. Just for the hulluva it, as you had a power failure. Does that help? If not, and If software Recovery mode doesn't help, you might also try clearing your PC's CMOS (where you move a jumper with the power OFF or you remove the battery and so on -- best to consult the PC manual on this, each is a bit different)--but that will re-set your "BIOS" settings, so if you have some special settings, you want to make note of them before resetting CMOS.
              Thank You - I'll try that after I hear back from snowhog.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                You are right. That brought up a display with 8 options. Is there one there that will recover the system?
                Select the current kernel's recovery mode (should be the second entry). This should boot you to a console. IF it does, then perform a clean shut down and reboot:
                Code:
                shutdown -r now

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Select the current kernel's recovery mode (should be the second entry). This should boot you to a console. IF it does, then perform a clean shut down and reboot:
                  Code:
                  shutdown -r now
                  No console. There is an option for the root console. I have used that to issue the command you suggested. The reboot brought me right back to the GRUB menu and the advanced option again dropped me into what i slabeled as "Recovery Menu" with the 8 options.

I tried the fsck option and that informed me that it could not mount the windows partition and that the ntfs partition is in an unsafe state.

Comment

Originally posted by geezer View Post
                    I tried the fsck option and that informed me that it could not mount the windows partition and that the ntfs partition is in an unsafe state.
                    From the console prompt, type:

ntfsfix /dev/sdXY where XY is the Windows partition. For example sda2 or sdb1

Comment

OK - been offline for awhile investigating.

What I think happened. The hdd that I used for Windows 8.1 was one of 2 hdd's, Hitachi 500GB, that I took from the old computer to stick in the new computer. I think the Hitachi went bad somehow. When trying to re-install Kubuntu, the installation would not mount the Windows ntfs or the FAT32 parttiions on the disk. Both partitions could not be mounted. The installation process claimed both were bad?!?

Re-jiggered the boot hdd priorities and booted Windows 8.1. Windows immediately displayed a message that the partitions were bad and that it was scanning the partitions and then that it fixed both partitions. Windows then finished the boot and ran okay. Rejiggered the hdd boot priorities and rebooted the Kubuntu DVD and again it refused to mount the windows partitions. So I had to replace the hdd.

Then re-install windows 8.1 and now Kubuntu 15.04.

That's what I think may have happened anyway.

The power outage while the fsck was hung didn't help any either.

Comment

Working...
                      X