X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using a printer connected to a Windows 7 desktop computer

Hi all,

I am trying to connect to a printer connected to a Windows 7 machine. I have done this before on Ubuntu, where it was able to automatically scan the network and detect the printer, but this option seems to be unavailable in kubuntu. How to I determine the printer URI? No matter which of the example formats I try, the printer doesn't respond.

Thanks,

Adam

use your web browser and go to http://localhost:631 try to add your printer that way . if asked to login use your local username and password
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      use your web browser and go to http://localhost:631 try to add your printer that way . if asked to login use your local username and password
      Thanks for the reply.

What can I do differently here? The interface provides exactly the same options.

Comment

Fixed the problem. I had to install the package 'smbclient' (I had also installed 'samba', not sure if this was important - if it is, perhaps it would be installed as a dependency of smbclient anyway). Then a new SAMBA option appeared in the printer managemant application, and I was able to add the printer as smb://WINDOWS_MACHINE_NAME/PRINTER_NAME

Comment

What can I do differently here? The interface provides exactly the same options.
          the kde control modlue for printers just talks to this one by using it directly you remove any possible issues with the kde control module . either way its good to see you have figured out your problem.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
          X