This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excessive use of cpu and fan?

I seem to be having a problem with cpu usage which causes the fan to run excessively most of the time. I use a toshiba laptop L750. I didn't have this issue before the update and I don't have it when I run Mint 17. As soon as I load Kubuntu 15.04 off it goes and gets worse as soon as I open a program or browser.

I saw a similar issue on another forum but couldn't understand the tech jargon.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Better still, has any solved this problem?

Thanks.

This type of behaviour is typically caused by a single application so you'll have to start finding out which one.

Open the System Monitor and look in the Process table what is sucking up CPU%.

Comment

thanks Teunis you're always ready to help much appreciated, I had a look at System Monitor and there was a file 'baloo-file' using 25% of the cpu! I killed it and that had an immediate positive effect. However next time I logged in it was there again. I suppose I could keep killing it each time it starts, but do you know if I can permanently disable it? Thanks

Comment

Open ksysguard and look at cpu usage.

Comment

In configuration disable search.

Comment

Baloo is known to at times be a sustems hog.
            This mainly happens when it makes it first comprehensive database of the drive's content, once that's done it *should* behave.

If it takes too long for your patience then you can disable it in System Settings/ Desktop Search (or so).

Comment

Working...
            X