Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is 1080p YouTubing superior in KDE in general?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is 1080p YouTubing superior in KDE in general?

Hey,

I'm really a Linux noob so pardon my lack of big picture. I'm using Ubuntu 15, eOS Freya, and Kub 15 in VirtualBox. I've casually noticed the first two HATE streaming video anywhere near 720 whereas Kubuntu says 'Bring it on!'. I don't mean to slur other distros but is it 'known' that KDE is faster/better and therefore YouTube works much better?

Just curious.

Don't forget that all these distros are Ubuntu under the skin (though Elementary is based on 14.04)
    The desktop used does not have that much to do with how well video playback is, unless the hardware is old. And in the 3 you are using, there likely is not enough difference in system load between the 3, with KDE being regarded as a bit more of a system hog. Maybe it is vitualbox, though some have reported problems running Plasma 5 there.

Comment

If I wasn't clear -- they're ALL in virtualbox. Each set up the same way. When I ran Linux Mint Cinnamon I noticed it was sluggish compared to Mint KDE. So, to me, it's funny to hear you say KDE is notoriously slower. Logging out of KDE Is like lightening. And, again, it's the only distro able to handle 720p or above.

Comment

Are you streaming youtube in the browser? Which browser, in each case, and is it flash or html5?

Or something else?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Maybe it's an artifact of using virtualbox, on top of the browser and video delivery format.

Also, nowhere did I say that KDE is notoriously slower, lol.

Os performance can't really be judged based on virtual machine performance.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Also, nowhere did I say that KDE is notoriously slower, lol.
            I've heard other people say KDE is slower and attached them to this that you did say --

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            with KDE being regarded as a bit more of a system hog
            I don't really care either way because I've always experienced KDE is faster and leaner.

Comment

LOLOL!
              Much as I lurve me my KDE, I would never say it is lean

Comment

Just wanted to show y'all the dramatic difference between 1080p playback in Kub Viv vs. Ubu Viv. You'll need a computer that always plays back 1080p off YouTube in HQ or this won't really work.

To me I do not see how VirtualBox would effect Kub Vs. Ubu. I understand VBox should decrease performance of both vs. being installed natively, but since both are running on the same VBox the same way, all things should be equal. Right? Not to mention Ubu was given slightly more memory... and Kub still hands Ubu it's ass.

UBUNTU -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHB4M6jzO_c

KUBUNTU -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlboLVFNRRg

Comment

Working...
                X