Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

nVidia Proprietary Display Driver & Encryted LVM Not Working?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nVidia Proprietary Display Driver & Encryted LVM Not Working?

Hi,

I installed the April 5th daily 64Bit ISO.
    Install went well and I installed nVidia proprietary display driver in driver manager.
    After a reboot I am unable to type in my encrypted LVM password and I can't boot into a desktop.
    Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jesse

Is your setup similar to what's described in Launchpad bug 1386005?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Is your setup similar to what's described in Launchpad bug 1386005?
      Hi,

I looked at that bug:
      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
      I have reproduced this problem in local testing, but it was only by accident in a configuration that is not expected to happen on a real system (namely, by manually removing vt.handoff=7 from the kernel command line).

Please run 'apport-collect 1386005' from the affected system, and attach your /etc/default/grub.

It's quite possible that this is a problem specific to your use of uvesafb. This is not a supported or tested configuration in Ubuntu; indeed, nvidia upstream insists that use of framebuffer kernel drivers with their binary driver is unstable and leads to video corruption. If this is only reproducible with uvesafb, it will be a low priority to fix.[/CODE]
      __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________
      I did a normal install of Kubuntu 15.04 64Bit from DVD and changed nothing.
      I've been using encrypted LVM since it was available and never had any problems with it and proprietary display drivers.
      What can be done?

Jesse

Comment

Alas, I can't offer advice, as I'm not running Vivid yet nor do I use an encrypted LVM. Just wanted to point you to some possibly helpful information. I doubt that bug applies to you -- you'd know if you were using uvesafb, as this is a thing you have to manually configure.

Comment

There appears to be an issue with Plymouth and the nVidia Prime driver.

More people are reporting it and someone in the development chat channel on IRC (#kubuntu-devel on freenode.net) is also experiencing it. So people are looking into it at least. The solution would be to turn Plymouth off, most probably.

This might point somewhere in the direction:

How to remove the Kubuntu splash screen

But that is just for Plymouth themes.

There is a package called plymouth-disabler that might help.

Comment

Perhaps this would be helpful as well: a text-based boot menu listing thing that shows the boot messages in plain text instead of a graphical thing:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...ne/261245.html

plymouth-theme-kubuntu-text

Update-alternatives will not allow you to select kubuntu-text for the default.plymouth, however. But if you were to remove kubuntu-logo (dpkg -l plymouth-theme*) you would get the text screen by default.

You need to create a new initramfs most likely

update-initramfs -u

There is probably also a kernel boot option?...

If you want to see the text-based boot messages (which use the Plymouth "details" plugin, press the ESCAPE key at any point when Plymouth is running. Note that the ESCAPE key acts as a toggle, so you can keep switching between graphical and text mode as required.
            To have the boot start in "text mode" as early as possible, remove "splash" from the kernel command-line in grub.

To make the change permanent, update /etc/default/grub and run "sudo update-grub".
            Last edited by xennex81; Apr 15, 2015, 05:02 AM.

Comment

you can boot straight to text mode ,,,,,,,,,,,,at the grub menu press "e" scroll down (with the arrow keys)to the line that starts with "linux" and backspace out "quiet splash" in its place type "text" ,,press "ctrl+x" ,,,,,you will boot to a text login without plymouth .

to get back the GUI type "startx" and hit enter after logging in as you .

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OOPSY .........this dose not work in a systemd system ,,,15.04 sorry however it dose in 14.10 and back )

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                X