Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[64Bit Beta 2]-Can't Install nVidia Proprietary Display Driver In Manager?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[64Bit Beta 2]-Can't Install nVidia Proprietary Display Driver In Manager?

Hi,

I successfully installed Kubuntu 15.04 64Bit Beta 2 onto the following desktop:
    Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 motherboard, AMD FX CPU, 32GB DDR3 RAM,
    nVidia GeForce GTX 750TI 2GB GDDR5 PCIexpress video adapter.

Newly installed Kubuntu 15.04 64Bit Beta 2 boots up to a desktop ok.
    I then tried to install the proprietary nVidia display driver in driver manager
    but can not: I select driver and click [Apply] and then something comes on the screen
    which is unreadable and I can't continue?

Anyone have luck with an nVidia GeForce GTX 750TI graphic adapter
    the proprietary nVidia display driver in driver manager
    and Kubuntu 15.04 64Bit Beta 2?

Thanks!

Jesse

I have the same rig and yes it does install eventually.
    However.
    The daily testing schedule updates break it. I had to revert to Nouveau and it will be my default until 23 April

Comment

Hi,

Well that gives me some hope.
      I'll give Kubuntu 15.04 another look when the Release Candidate is released.
      For now I'll use my slow thin client desktop with Kubuntu 14.10 64Bit...

Jesse

Comment

This happened to me. It downloaded the driver without issue then when it installed it became a jumbled mess of text the two times I tried. Thought it was done so rebooted and could not get back to the desktop session. Tried a few days later by downloading a daily build and it did the same when installing the propriety Nvidia driver. This time I took the time to decipher the jumbled text and it was asking about the session and gave me a choice of either light or sddm. I chose sddm, clicked next and it completed the installation and after the reboot it has been working fine. I have since rebooted a few times due to updates the past two days and still no issue.
        ...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
        the Ugly).

Comment

Great tip Pacey. Looks like nvidia has issues with lightdm and plasma5

Comment

I remember reading somewhere else that Nvidia was forcing lightdm when installing. I'm wondering now if they just didn't see the option/choice in the install manager.
            ...Unix, MS-DOS, and Windows NT (also known as the Good, the Bad, and
            the Ugly).

Comment

They sure don't make the install easy. What with the jumbled text. You were clever to follow it through and select sddm as default. Nouveau is OK but doesn't have 3D yet. I see on the Nouveau website they are looking for volunteers to decode the Maxwell chip. Wish I had the expertise.
              Last edited by milcor; Apr 05, 2015, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X