This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Icons on desktop are widgets?

I like my most used apps to be icons on the desktop, in Plasma 5 it adds them as widgets, but that means it takes only one click to run them instead of a double click. Is there a way to simply have icons as files like plasma 4?

right click on the desktop, select folder settings then change layout to Folder.
    also
    in system settings / input devices / mouse choose double click.

prefer the same settings myself.

Comment

Man I feel so stupid, never thought to change the layout to Folder. Thanks

Comment

Does anyone know why in system settings - icons - advanced there are no options to change the sizes of the icons?

Comment

System Settings->Application Appearance->Icons -- Advanced Tab
          I have a pull-down selector for size (16 pixel to 256pixel)
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I only have the 'Icon' Menu under the 'Appearance' heading and the size pull-down selectors are all greyed out

Comment

Originally posted by themouse View Post
              I only have the 'Icon' Menu under the 'Appearance' heading and the size pull-down selectors are all greyed out
              Same here, on two different systems.

Comment

At a guess, access privileges on your system login? Try logging in as someone with admin level rights?
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  At a guess, access privileges on your system login? Try logging in as someone with admin level rights?
                  In my case, both are from admin accounts.

Comment

I have my systems settings menu option (via application launcher) set to run as root user. What are your user settings for this?

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      I have my systems settings menu option (via application launcher) set to run as root user. What are your user settings for this?
                      Why would you do this, or need to?
                      The root user account is not set up in a normal *buntu.
                      You do not need admin privileges to run System Settings, as anything that would require those privileges would prompt you for the password. You should not need admin rights to set user level desktop settings. My guess is a bug in the settings module.

Comment

I'm just suggesting what my settings are, in hope of finding the reason for the disabled icon size options.
                        I'm using 14.04 LTS... Perhaps you've gone to 15.04?

Comment

Yes, we are in a 15.04 section of the forums

Still, my statements about running system settings as root/admin still are still valid in 14.04, or any *buntu release since the beginning.

Comment

Ok, I'll withdraw, but you may be correct that it is a bug in settings. I cannot confirm that without installing 15.04.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Still, my statements about running system settings as root/admin still are still valid in 14.04, or any *buntu release since the beginning.
                              Also, if one runs systemsettings as root, most settings (those that don't affect system level settings) will effectively change root's settings (not user settings)...you can use this to have root apps to have different color-scheme than normal user-run apps, for example.
                              ----
                              Running 15.04 and icon size change drop-downs work normally here.

Comment

Working...
                              X