This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beta 2 still will not let me log in

Any ideas as to how I can fix my issue of not being able to log. Aftery typeing my password the screen shows the K splash screen, then goes black except for the mouse cursore being faintly visible. I have applied the lates updates, tried the install several times. I cannot even get to a virtual console window when this happens. I installed Gnome and it works just fine. I am using the video driver from AMD that came with the 15.4.

Any advise appreciated.

Delicate blossom ?

Aftery typeing my password the screen shows the K splash screen, then goes black except for the mouse cursore being faintly visible...

The plasma desktop has been/is a delicate blossom.

Sometimes the plasma can't understand own configuration files.

With the KDE4 the files are:

~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

With the KF5/plasma 5 the files are:

~/.config/plasma*

You could rename/move/remove the plasma configuration files when the plasma is not running. The plasma will remake them (with the default settings) when you log in next time.

As you have the Gnome desktop you could do the cleaning from there.

Comment

Delicate blodsim

OK, thanks for the tip. I remove .kde all together before but will try again. And if it is that delicate something is wrong with it, should be robust enough to alway give a user some kind of minimal desktop

Originally posted by Wheel Inventor View Post
      The plasma desktop has been/is a delicate blossom.

Sometimes the plasma can't understand own configuration files.

With the KDE4 the files are:

~/.kde/share/config/plasma*

With the KF5/plasma 5 the files are:

~/.config/plasma*

You could rename/move/remove the plasma configuration files when the plasma is not running. The plasma will remake them (with the default settings) when you log in next time.

As you have the Gnome desktop you could do the cleaning from there.

Comment

Originally posted by dboosalis View Post
        OK, thanks for the tip. I remove .kde all together before but will try again. And if it is that delicate something is wrong with it, should be robust enough to alway give a user some kind of minimal desktop
        ~/.config/plasma* ,,,,is not in .kde

this ver.is not done cooking yet ,,,,,, breakage is till to be expected until official release ,,,April 23 2015.

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

OK

Thanks for pointing that out Vinny. I will try again latter, for now I just went back to 14.10

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          ~/.config/plasma* ,,,,is not in .kde

this ver.is not done cooking yet ,,,,,, breakage is till to be expected until official release ,,,April 23 2015.

VINNY

Comment

same problem here.
            removing .kde or .config does not change anything

Comment

i'd try removing .cache, if that fails create a new user to rule out an error with kde.

Comment

removing .cache fixes the all-back state.
                However start-menu, panel etc are all gone (only the context-symbol in the upper-left corner is present apart from the background)

How do I reset to the default desktop set-up (starter,window switcher etc)

Comment

I'm having similar issues in a VM right now that I started today, black screen issue started after a few tweaks to the interface (moving to breeze dark, and changing to faenza icons).
                  Blowing the cache folder allowed me to get something other than a black screen, but the desktop came back at an odd size, and another reboot was needed to get the desktop the same size as the window.

April 23rd is really close for this kinda stuff to be breaking.

Comment

Working...
                  X