X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't login after install Nvidia Driver in Driver Manager

Hi guys,
    I'm new to Kubuntu and I had been downloaded and installed version 15.04.
    Everything fine, but after I install Nvidia Driver, I can't login to my laptop with error "Failed to start session" and the login screen look like Ubuntu (not Kubuntu) ( still can access terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2 ).
    I had been choosed option LightDM and SDDM when I install this driver ( tried 2 times but no work).
    My video card is GT 720M. Installed driver version 340.76.
    What am I wrong and how to fix it?
    Thanks

Hi,

had yesterday the problem even a little bit worse, after boot the screen simply stayed black not even the flashing kubuntu logo, after switching to the properitary diver (If I rember correctly 345 (it was the recommended)) Geforce GTX 860M.
    After some time I can ctrl+Alt+F2 to a console , but startx fails.

(I just want to report the problem. I have no solution, that was the point where I decide to stop testing 15.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Brillus View Post
      Hi,

had yesterday the problem even a little bit worse, after boot the screen simply stayed black not even the flashing kubuntu logo, after switching to the properitary diver (If I rember correctly 345 (it was the recommended)) Geforce GTX 860M.
      After some time I can ctrl+Alt+F2 to a console , but startx fails.

(I just want to report the problem. I have no solution, that was the point where I decide to stop testing 15.04)
      I have the same GPU and all works well ,,,,,we could prob. get you going if you haven't given up on this yet.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        I have the same GPU and all works well ,,,,,we could prob. get you going if you haven't given up on this yet.

VINNY
        Thank you for the offer, but I have a lot of other problems as well so I weill either wait for the final version or go back to 14.10 (not yet decided)

Comment

Originally posted by Brillus View Post
          Thank you for the offer, but I have a lot of other problems as well so I weill either wait for the final version or go back to 14.10 (not yet decided)
          K

I would go back to 14.04 , it is the LTS , and is my main OS and will be until the next LTS ,,,,,,,wile I also will have all the newest on the way as well right now I can chose from 5 OS's to boot to

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

@Vinnywright: Just because it may help people to find the problem, those yout system have optimius? Mine have (and it cannot be disabled)

Comment

I believe I'm in the same boat and am keen to try and find a solution. Regarding the blackscreen issue, I've read that the nvidia optimus drivers need to be blacklisted during boot. I'm running a 4900MQ processor (integrated graphics) and a 730M nvidia card. I can get to a login screen and get things going with other DEs and lightdm but not sddm

Comment

No idea if this addresses your problem, but noticed this update earlier:

Code:
                sddm (0.11.0-0ubuntu7) vivid; urgency=medium

* Add kubuntu_nvidia-prime.diff to run nvidia-prime setup script at
                    login

-- Jonathan Riddell <jriddell@ubuntu.com>  Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:07:55 +0200

Comment

Thank you kindly for the lead. It seems that is from a previous version of sddm if I'm reading it right. Is there any info I can provide to better diagnose? I'm running sddm (0.11.0-0ubuntu8) on a 64 bit install. I'm currently installing nvidia-346 via driver manager, we shall see what results. Previously I've had to boot into revovery mode, run sudo apt-get purge nvidia* then purge and reinstall sddm to get to a login screen again
                  Last edited by Jazzcat; Apr 04, 2015, 05:51 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Black Screen of No 3D Games For You

I had the black screen problem too after installing Nvidia driver, and tried lots things to sort it out. I tried various different kernels (3.16, 3.17, 3.19) and various different Nvidia versions (340, 346, 349) in different combinations. Nothing worked - black screen after reboot, but still able to ctrl-tab to a terminal log in. I tried different ppa's too with still no luck.

Eventually I got it to work with bumblebee. So with a fresh install of today's daily, I did an apt-get update, followed by an apt-get install nvidia-346, followed by an apt-get install bumblebee. I edited the bumblebee config replacing nvidia-current with nvidia-346, rebooted ... and it actually worked.

Really liking plasma5 and vivid.

Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by cebo View Post
                      I had the black screen problem too after installing Nvidia driver, and tried lots things to sort it out. I tried various different kernels (3.16, 3.17, 3.19) and various different Nvidia versions (340, 346, 349) in different combinations. Nothing worked - black screen after reboot, but still able to ctrl-tab to a terminal log in. I tried different ppa's too with still no luck.

Eventually I got it to work with bumblebee. So with a fresh install of today's daily, I did an apt-get update, followed by an apt-get install nvidia-346, followed by an apt-get install bumblebee. I edited the bumblebee config replacing nvidia-current with nvidia-346, rebooted ... and it actually worked.

Really liking plasma5 and vivid.

Good luck.
                      Before I do something that I regret, would you tell me where is the archive I have to edit? (the bumblebee file) and, these commands are executed with the gui running or I have to do ctrl+alt+f2 and kill sddm? Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Manck View Post
                        Before I do something that I regret, would you tell me where is the archive I have to edit? (the bumblebee file) and, these commands are executed with the gui running or I have to do ctrl+alt+f2 and kill sddm? Thank you.
                        You need to edit bumblebee.conf - which is located at /etc/bumblebee/bumblebee.conf - read through it and you'll see references to "nvidia-current" which you need to replace with the nvidia driver you're using, in my case this was "nvidia-346". You also need to find the line "Driver=" and change that to "Driver=nvidia".

You could also have a look at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bumblebee#Installation
                        skip down to the updating drivers section.

Commands were entered with gui running on first boot after a clean install.

Just had an update come through for nvidia-346, very nervously I updated, and everything still works.
                        Last edited by cebo; Apr 09, 2015, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I was on the forum looking for an answer to another question and saw this thread. It solidifies my stance on not upgrading. It isn't as though Nvidia is some small obscure video company and I find it nonsense that Linux has such problems playing with Nvidia. We have at least 10 computers in our house and some are old. If the old one needs a Nvidia 96 driver then the OS going forward should be coded to allow it to boot. We have installed more RAM, installed Win7 on some very, very old machines and they work well. Shouldn't hardware regression be considered when coding?

I know this ---- the old kitchen laptop is running 12.04 LTS and even though I am tempted I see no reason to tempt the driver devils. I spent a year of frustration trying to get Nouveau to play well using 14.04 LTS and then one day it hit me....go back to 12.04 LTS. Installed 12.04, installed the nvidia drivers and it never has a problem and runs well.

So to me upgrading in Linux can be a trial of frustration and can anyone ever think about what it would do to a business using the system?

Sorry this was a bit of a rant and offers no help. I attribute it to my allergies / asthma putting me in a bad state of mind today.

Comment

Thanks folks, I got it going using bumblebee, I had to install bumblebee-nvidia. I have to manually run optirun as I followed http://askubuntu.com/questions/45255...lebee-in-14-04 but for some reason I couldn't edit my applicationss, it does work as an indicator so it's still useful.

I edited the entries in my launcher instead (right click on launcher icon, edit applications, select application from menu, under command add optirun at the beginning of the line). I'm sure that there is probably a way to do this by editing config files but hey, this works for me so I'm sharing.

Comment

I tried 346 and 340, edited all the "nvidia-current" in bumblebee, edit Driver=nvidia and I still get a black screen. I dont know if it has something to do with my laptop's double graphics: Intel HD and Nvidia 720. I'll search but I dont really know how to proceed, by the way, thank you for answering.

Comment

Working...
                              X