This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keyboard Problems Again!!!

Previously I complained here about my keyboard not giving the correct characters. ie
    Keyboard has the keys for @ and in the wrong position. If I shift ', I get @ instead of , for shift 2, I get instead of @.
    It was fixed and now the problem has returned. The key settings on Utopic and Vivid for my laptop are:Keyboard_Difference.txt

I am wondering if I am the only person experiencing this or not. I only found this problem by accident when I had to enter an email address and it put in " instead of @. I was hoping this would be fixed, but it has been present for some days now and I do not know when this problem re-emerged.

It looks like the language settings have changed. It looks like it has been set up for UK keyboard and you might be wanting US keyboard (or maybe AUS keyboard is same as US). There should be an option to change it in system settings

Comment

I have tried the Generic 101 keyboard and the Generic 102 keyboard and they make no difference. There is not a language setting on for these keyboards.

Comment

Have you tried checking locale settings, are they correct for your area?

It appears that your using 15.04 so I am guessing that you have had a recent update/upgrade which has reset all your settings to default.

Unless your testing 15.04 for bugs and reporting them, I would personally stick to a stable version.

Comment

The distribution that I am using is the Vivid release on the 1 March 2015. I thought it best to do this as I had been using a pre-alpha and then an alpha releases for testing.

I am currently in the UK, but my home is in Adelaide, South Australia. When I installed this system, I put my location as the UK. I have now changed my regional settings and my clock and time zones to Australia and Adelaide time where appropriate. The keyboard problem still exists.

I even changed the keyboard choice and back again to make sure that the correct keyboard was loaded.

Comment

a pre-alpha release?

Does it have the following in your version of KDE?
            System Settings -> (Hardware ->) Input Devices -> Keyboard -> Layout.

Comment

I am not using a pre-alpha release, the 1 March is 3 days after the beta 1 release and I installed this in response to problems when copying text between applications.

Yes I do. I checked Configure Layouts, and selected + Add and made Map "us" and Layout "English (US)" layout. Now it all works as it should.

Thanks very much for the help you gave and pointing me in the right direction. This complication was caused by being in the UK and installing Vivid with the UK as the location. I had not realized that the UK keyboard was different until now and checking my Son's keyboard. I will now make this topic solved.
              Last edited by NoWorries; Mar 06, 2015, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                I had not realized that the UK keyboard was different until now and checking my Son's keyboard.
                I'd keep that quiet if I were you whilst staying in the UK. If the authorities get to know that your using a foreign keyboard they'll slap you with import duty.

Comment

Working...
                X