This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Omologato! [useability]...

Firefox will not now revert to NewTab page after closing an app launced from a thumbnail. This after update to many apps and libs (including kernel and Firefox), so not sure if FF or Sys (14.10 amd64). Previous setup was much more useable, allowing this (though only after fresh (re)start of FF). What changed?

Probably the new firefox may have a bug? Mozilla did very recently release a new version. A kernel is highly unlikely to affect the browser this way, but I don't think I fully understand how your problem manifests itself.
    Last edited by claydoh; Mar 09, 2015, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Probably the new firefox may have a bug? Mozilla did very recently release a new version. A kernel is highly unlikely to affect the browser this way, but I don't think I fully understand how your problem manifests itself.
      OK - it's a bit convoluted, but...
      The NewTab page can display thumbnails of recent/favo(u)rite siteswhich are links. Launch one of these, and then right-click the Back arrow. Previous FF would show NewTab as 'root' of history, and left-click of Back arrow would (eventually?) take you back there. This would not occur from opening a sie from Bookmark or from another app's 'external browser' facility, just from the NewTab and only after a fresh (re)start of FF. This made the NewTab page a sort of 'thumbnailed Favo(u)rites' page - very handy! Now not possible. Clearer?
      Cheers...

Comment

I get it. I think, it was "launching apps" that confused me - not difficult to do

Yeah, that is something likely done on Mozilla's end, but could still be possibly something on Ubuntu's end as they do compile it from source for us.

I see nothing recent in their bugzilla for this sort of behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          I get it. I think, it was "launching apps" that confused me - not difficult to do

Yeah, that is something likely done on Mozilla's end, but could still be possibly something on Ubuntu's end as they do compile it from source for us.

I see nothing recent in their bugzilla for this sort of behavior.
          Bugzilla won't have it because it doesn't 'hiccup' as a bug so I didn't go there. It's also quite likely an unintended 'feature', and few may be alert to it and now miss it. I still think it worth pursuing, as it may show other 'bugs'.
          BTW, thanks for prompt reply.
          Cheers...

Comment

Do you have any Firefox extensions installed? There are several that allow control of what happens when you close the last tab, and what happens when you click a link in tabs, in bookmarks, etc. They sometimes do this by tweaking settings that you can also get to via about:config

When I launch something from the about:newtab page, the page history / browser back button is greyed out, ie it doesn't save NewTab in the history ... and I don't remember this ever happening.

I agree with Claydoh that it won't have anything to do with the kernel or programs outside Firefox. But it could have a lot to do with settings in your Firefox profile. Do you know how to create a new test profile in Firefox, and see how it behaves there?
            I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Also, with a fresh profile I see the "Ubuntu Firefox start page" not the standard Firefox new tab page. Have you changed that?
              I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
              X