X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

For those who don't want to do a complete reinstall:

1) Try logging in normally and do not click or otherwise close the "Could not load ksmserver" window
    2) Switch to the console (CTRL+ALT+F1)
    3) Log in
    4) Run
    Code:
    DISPLAY=:0 ksmserver
    5) Switch back to the desktop (CTRL+ALT+F7)
    6) Still do not close the window or you will be logged out

This is not an ideal solution, but it will allow you to at least log in while waiting for the fix.

Comment

Fantastic info forger.. thank you!!! I'm downloading 15.04 now, but on my wonderful connection its taking hours (3 down, 4 to go) so this is a god send.

Peter.

Comment

Updating packages from https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-ci/+a.../ubuntu/stable fixed the problem for me.

Comment

Originally posted by forger View Post
          Hi,

For those who don't want to do a complete reinstall:

1) Try logging in normally and do not click or otherwise close the "Could not load ksmserver" window
          2) Switch to the console (CTRL+ALT+F1)
          3) Log in
          4) Run
          Code:
          DISPLAY=:0 ksmserver
          5) Switch back to the desktop (CTRL+ALT+F7)
          6) Still do not close the window or you will be logged out

This is not an ideal solution, but it will allow you to at least log in while waiting for the fix.
          That kind of worked for me but a window saying "kdeinit5 crashed" appeared and I only add a black screen (with the error windows). I was able to launch something through ALT+F2 but could not display by task bar and others.

Comment

Any movement here guys? I've finnally managed to download 15.05 over night but have a system I can test any fixes on before I blow it away and re-install, but, don't have a long time as I need the system soonish.

Comment

Originally posted by nicofrand View Post
              That kind of worked for me but a window saying "kdeinit5 crashed" appeared and I only add a black screen (with the error windows). I was able to launch something through ALT+F2 but could not display by task bar and others.
              plasmashell probably crashed.

In the alt-f2 (krunner box), type : "plasmashell"

Comment

Originally posted by pnunn View Post
                Any movement here guys? I've finnally managed to download 15.05 over night but have a system I can test any fixes on before I blow it away and re-install, but, don't have a long time as I need the system soonish.
                I'd run and install Vivid, unless you do the ppa swap mentioned.
                Heck, go with Vivid, more stable imnsho

Comment

Ok install done, now trying to set everything back up. But no Bluetooth at this point which is a pain.

Comment

Search your menus for blue or bluetooth - it is there, just not in system settings atm. You reminded me that I never set this up on the laptop, lol!

Comment

Thanks again claydoh, bluetooth now working.. downloading the nvidia drivers is going to take all day by the looks, but I'm basically back and running (email atleast is now up)

Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        plasmashell probably crashed.

In the alt-f2 (krunner box), type : "plasmashell"
                        Actually I tried, in konsole. But it said the plasmashell command was not found. (I checked, it is well installed).
                        BTW, thanks for the krunner box, I forgot how it was called.

Comment

Starting to re-build now (guess this has to move to the pre-release thread), but, one thing that is NOT working on 15.04 is recovery from either sleep or screen lock. The screen tears all over the place, the usual Alt/Shift/F12 doesn't do anything and a killall Xorg from another terminal results in X Ok but no Kwin by the looks. Not very useful at all at the moment.
                          Last edited by pnunn; Feb 27, 2015, 05:57 AM.

Comment

It all works for moi but I have l less than enviable machine. but I still don't like the visuals.

basically.........if one "does the recommended stuff" things work ok

otherwise.........there is this guy in Key West who directs anyone trying to the band "five O'clock somewhere" to buoy mile marker one........

but........mile marker one is bleeding edge.........

just sayinsmoke
                            sigpic
                            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hopefully those who "rely" on kf5/plasma5 in Utopic will see this fixed soon.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...ry/009270.html

Comment

Hi,
                                The last batch of updates from next-backports broke my system.
                                Got the ksmserver error also.

Logging from the Terminal first error stated:

systemd-logind[899]: Failed to start user service: Unknown Unit: user @1000.service.

Also invoking startx brings up xservice error message that there are no screens found.

There is a permissions issue between systemd and/or PAM that is not allowing login.

From checking out posts on the errors I also tried to check the systemctl command to locate what was wrong.
                                According to the feedback, systemd is not running. it seems to be controlling the login permissions.
                                With this, I think that the X and ksmserver are failing.

Will need some suggestions on checking and/or re-registering permissions to get logged in to the Desktop.

Hopefully, the next batch of updates will repair this.

Comment

Working...
                                X