This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 5 Not Totally Installed

I have added the repository http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa...ckports/ubuntu, but I do not get all the packages installed. It repeatedly lists packages to install and then a list to remove. When I do the removal, I then get packages installed and then I get the message to install and remove packages. I seem to be going round in circles and getting nowhere. The output that I get is:
    Code:
    :~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme frameworkintegration kactivities kde-cli-tools kde-cli-tools-data kde-config-sddm kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze-qt4
      kde-style-oxygen-qt5 kded5 khotkeys khotkeys-data kinit kio-extras ktexteditor-data ktexteditor-katepart kwin kwin-data kwin-style-breeze kwrited libjs-underscore
      libkdecorations2-5 libkdecorations2private5 libkf5activities5 libkf5baloo1 libkf5balooxapian1 libkf5dnssd-data libkf5dnssd5 libkf5emoticons-bin libkf5emoticons-data
      libkf5emoticons5 libkf5filemetadata-bin libkf5filemetadata-data libkf5filemetadata3 libkf5idletime5 libkf5jsembed-data libkf5jsembed5 libkf5plasmaquick5 libkf5pty-data libkf5pty5
      libkf5runner5 libkf5style5 libkf5su-bin libkf5su5 libkf5texteditor5 libkf5threadweaver5 libkf5waylandserver5 libkf5webkit5 libkf5xmlrpcclientprivate5 libkfontinst5 libkfontinstui5
      libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects6 libkwinglutils6 libkwinxrenderutils6 libkworkspace5-5 liboxygenstyle5-5 liboxygenstyleconfig5-5 libplasma-geolocation-interface5
      libpoppler-qt5-1 libpowerdevilcore2 libpowerdevilui5 libqgsttools-p1 libqt5clucene5 libqt5concurrent5 libqt5designer5 libqt5designercomponents5 libqt5help5 libqt5multimedia5
      libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediaquick-p5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5quickwidgets5 libtaskmanager5 libweather-ion7 milou oxygen-sounds plasma-framework powerdevil
      powerdevil-data qdbus-qt5 qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin qml-module-org-kde-runnermodel qml-module-org-kde-solid qml-module-qtgraphicaleffects qml-module-qtmultimedia
      qml-module-qtquick-controls qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze qml-module-qtquick-dialogs qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-privatewidgets
      qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick2 qtdeclarative5-kf5declarative qtdeclarative5-kf5solid qttools5-dev-tools sni-qt
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    Done
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      breeze breeze-cursor-theme breeze-icon-theme kactivities kde-cli-tools kde-cli-tools-data kde-config-sddm kde-style-breeze kde-style-breeze-qt4 kde-style-oxygen-qt5 kded5 khotkeys
      khotkeys-data kio-extras kwin kwin-data kwin-style-breeze kwrited libkdecorations2-5 libkdecorations2private5 libkf5activities5 libkf5baloo1 libkf5balooxapian1 libkf5dnssd-data
      libkf5dnssd5 libkf5emoticons-bin libkf5emoticons-data libkf5emoticons5 libkf5filemetadata-bin libkf5filemetadata-data libkf5filemetadata3 libkf5idletime5 libkf5plasmaquick5
      libkf5pty-data libkf5pty5 libkf5runner5 libkf5style5 libkf5su-bin libkf5su5 libkf5threadweaver5 libkfontinst5 libkfontinstui5 libkwin4-effect-builtins1 libkwineffects6
      libkwinglutils6 libkwinxrenderutils6 libkworkspace5-5 liboxygenstyle5-5 liboxygenstyleconfig5-5 libpoppler-qt5-1 libpowerdevilcore2 libpowerdevilui5 libqgsttools-p1
      libqt5concurrent5 libqt5multimedia5 libqt5multimedia5-plugins libqt5multimediaquick-p5 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libqt5quickwidgets5 libtaskmanager5 oxygen-sounds plasma-framework
      powerdevil powerdevil-data qml-module-org-kde-extensionplugin qml-module-org-kde-runnermodel qml-module-org-kde-solid qml-module-qtmultimedia qml-module-qtquick-controls
      qml-module-qtquick-controls-styles-breeze qml-module-qtquick-layouts qml-module-qtquick-window2 qml-module-qtquick2 qtdeclarative5-kf5declarative sni-qt
    The following packages have been kept back:
      plasma-desktop
    0 upgraded, 75 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0 B/43.5 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 108 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    Doing a sudo dpkg --configure -a gives no output or change.

I am wondering if there is still work in progress with Plasma 5 or is there something wrong with my system.

I'm running Vivid, so things may be different.

When 5.2 hit yesterday, there were conflicts. Ultimately, I had to remove libkwineffects5, libkwinglutils5, and libkwinxrenderutils5, and kwin, then reinstall kwin. There are *6 versions of those lib files now installed.

Comment

I did not have kwin installed, but when I did, it installed the other files that you listed except that they ended in a "6" and not "5". When I rebooted, my system failed to proceed past the login stage and just gave the Kubuntu blue screen. I then realized that kwin is the alternative boot manager to lightdm and I am not impressed with kwin.

So, instead of trying to resolve all the problems with Plasma 5, I decided to reinstall my system. Fortunately, I am on a fast network and it does not take overly long to do. After these experiences, I do not think I will try Plasma 5 on Utopic but will for Vivid.
      Last edited by NoWorries; Jan 30, 2015, 03:04 PM.

Comment

kwin isn't a login manager like lightdm or sddm.

Description: KDE window manager
        KWin (pronounced as one syllable "kwin") is the window manager for the KDE Plasma Desktop. It gives you complete control over
        your windows, making sure they're not in the way but aid you in your task. It paints the window decoration, the bar on top of
        every window with (configurable) buttons like close, maximize and minimize. It also handles placing of windows and switching
        between them.

This package is part of the KDE base workspace module

Comment

Working...
        X