Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PPA 404 - what to do with packages installed?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PPA 404 - what to do with packages installed?

Hi all

I was using a PPA to keep up with VLC and all the apocryphal stuff that goes with it. Trouble is, that PPA is gone. I get a 404 on source list update attempts.

Code:
    W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/djcj/vlc-stable/ubuntu/dists/utopic/main/binary-amd64/Packages  404  Not Found
    How do I roll back the stuff in there that I have installed to regular stock versions? Do I have to do it manually in Muon? I would consider his a lengthy option but would do it anyway, except that the repo isn't showing in the list of "By Origin" filter.

ppa-purge gives the same 404 as apt-get update.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    --
    Intocabile

It may not be all that big of a job, as there probably was not an overly large number of packages surrounding vlc.
    There are more ppas that may be better maintained and have been around a bit longer:
    https://launchpad.net/~n-muench/+archive/ubuntu/vlc
    and there always is:
    https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+arc...u/stable-daily

Most likely all you may need to do is first uninstall vlc. Running apt-get autoremove may help remove any deps specific to vlc from the old ppa, if they were installed. You should be able to install the "stock" vlc now.

Adding a new ppa should be all you need to do to get it back if you are still looking for the latest builds again, but not knowing how, or rather how well the person who had the dead ppa packaged things, you won't know till you try installing.

Comment

As of December 04, 2014, I've been using the videolan/master-daily repository:
      ppaadd ppa:videolan/master-daily
      This PPA contains daily builds from the VLC development branch.
      More info: https://launchpad.net/~videolan/+arc...u/master-daily
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There was the whole load of libav (with all of its little friends) in the ppa, and I'm not convinced they ever really worked properly as there were conflicts that I'm not sure were ever properly resolved when I installed it, as evidenced by umplayer not playing mp4 files any more.

It would be nice to work out everything that had come from the djcj ppa and replace it.
        --
        Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          As of December 04, 2014, I've been using the videolan/master-daily repository:
          V3? Sounds risky. I'll try it!
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

Because it's the 'daily' repository, you get updates to VLC et al. daily.

Comment

One thing that puzzles me, if your wanting the latest version of software, why use Ubuntu then add ppa's? Wouldn't it be better and easier to use a rolling release distro?

Comment

I "like" Kubuntu. I add PPAs for specific needs.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                  One thing that puzzles me, if your wanting the latest version of software, why use Ubuntu then add ppa's? Wouldn't it be better and easier to use a rolling release distro?
                  If I wanted that level of forced involvement in fixing everything periodically, I'd be running a bleeding edge FreeBSD and compiling my own kernels and ports.

I like kubuntu plenty enough and just want to sometimes mess around with stuff. I have had problems with stock VLC running properly (really bad full screen flicker on some codecs/containers, seeking disabling audio, etc) that I want to try out a later version to see if it gets fixed somewhere.

I use xorg edgers for the same reason - I like to be more up to date than stock with nvidia drivers and stuff, but I also want the hard work done by someone who has the time to do it for me.
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

have you tried creating a /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh and adding

Code:
                    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cat /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh
                     [COLOR=#ff0000]export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1[/COLOR]
                    and a reboot ..........to fix the screen flicker O make sure it's set executable ...... the kwin.sh

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                      Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      I "like" Kubuntu. I add PPAs for specific needs.
                      Originally posted by Spadge View Post
                      If I wanted that level of forced involvement in fixing everything periodically, I'd be running a bleeding edge FreeBSD and compiling my own kernels and ports.

I like kubuntu plenty enough and just want to sometimes mess around with stuff. I have had problems with stock VLC running properly (really bad full screen flicker on some codecs/containers, seeking disabling audio, etc) that I want to try out a later version to see if it gets fixed somewhere.

I use xorg edgers for the same reason - I like to be more up to date than stock with nvidia drivers and stuff, but I also want the hard work done by someone who has the time to do it for me.
                      Yup, what these guys said. I only want certain parts to be super duper up-to-date, and that usually involves KDE and a few individual bits here and there (depending on the system). Not the whole OS.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                        have you tried creating a /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh and adding

Code:
                        vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ cat /etc/profile.d/kwin.sh
                         [COLOR=#ff0000]export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1[/COLOR]
                        and a reboot ..........to fix the screen flicker O make sure it's set executable ...... the kwin.sh

VINNY
                        /etc/profile.d$ cat Tearing.sh
                        export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
                        export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

I have one of those in /etc/profile.d already
                        --
                        Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
                          /etc/profile.d$ cat Tearing.sh
                          export KWIN_TRIPLE_BUFFER=1
                          export __GL_YIELD="USLEEP"

I have one of those in /etc/profile.d already
                          I think (but may be wrong) that only one of those should be used at a time (one or the other)

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            I think (but may be wrong) that only one of those should be used at a time (one or the other)

VINNY
                            It's working and I have no intention of poking THAT bugbear again! Getting the tearing to stop took a while, I tried many things and eventually one or all of them worked. If I were feeling more brave I might go back and try to narrow down what fixed it, but I'm not so I won't.

Even though I suspect it was all down to not disabling effects on fullscreen apps ...

I like how my system is working right now and don't feel the need to break anything at the mo.

Although having said that I have gone and removed a bunch of PPAs that I didn't think were helping me, and then adding some following this advice http://howtoubuntu.org/things-to-do-...utopic-unicorn to get media codecs to behave - which worked BTW, I now have x264/mp4 working in umplayer again.
                            --
                            Intocabile

Comment

Working...
                            X