This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flash plugin installer giving me grief

This is strange because I ran into this problem on my Asus netbook and promptly solved it, but the same solution that worked so well on it won't work on a Dell Inspiron One AIO desktop. Same operating system. Same error message. Same solution. Worked on one PC, but not on the other.

Upon bootup, Kubuntu shows the lightbulb icon in the task pane. When you click on it, it informs you that not all the packages for flashplugin-installer could be downloaded. It tells you, “You may need to fix your Internet connection, then remove and install the packages to fix this problem.” A complete uninstall and reinstall of flashplugin is exactly what worked on the netbook. I got instructions here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/43050...gin-completely

Per that page I went:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove flashplugin-installer
    And then:

Code:
    VARIANTS="iceape iceweasel mozilla firefox xulrunner midbrowser xulrunner-addons"
    sudo update-rc.d -f flashplugin-installer remove >/dev/null 2>&1
    sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer-unpackdir
    sudo rm -rf /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/*
    sudo rm -f /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/*
    sudo rm -rf /var/cache/flashplugin-installer-unpackdir
    sudo rm -rf /var/cache/flashplugin-installer
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/libflashplayer.so
    sudo rm -f /usr/share/ubufox/plugins/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so
    for p in $VARIANTS; do
    sudo update-alternatives --quiet --remove "$p-flashplugin" /usr/lib/flashplugin-installer/libflashplayer.so;
    done
    for p in $VARIANTS; do
    sudo update-alternatives --quiet --remove "$p-flashplugin" /var/lib/flashplugin-installer/npwrapper.libflashplayer.so;
    done
    Then I did an install from the command line per the instructions on this page:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/34142...ayer-on-ubuntu

Per that page:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install flashplugin-installer
    On the netbook, it was over and done with. A reboot and all was back to normal. Not so on the Dell AIO. This PC has been cursed so that the solution that logically should work is refusing to. After booting up, a menu comes up with two light bulbs. If you click on the first one, it says, “The following packages requested additional data downloads after package installation, but just to make your life as miserable as possible, give you the finger, and moon you the data could not be downloaded or could not be processed … flashplugin-installer.
    I changed the wording a little, but that's the gist. When you click on the button “run this action now,” it pulls up this in the terminal:

Code:
    flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.429.orig.tar.gz
    And it just hangs. It stays stuck there – no resolution to the problem. When you click on the other lightbulb button, it just gives you the same information without anything else.

I've checked my Internet connection. It's running. In fact, I used two different wifi signals. I surfed around on pages I don't normally go to and hence aren't cashed. The web is working. There's one other thing I tried. I ran my fix a broken install commands that I keep handy for when packages a screwed up:

Code:
    apt-get -f install    

dpkg --configure -a
    Then I did the same uninstall and reinstall of this flash crap, only to get the same results.

Help. How do I make this annoying PC update its stupid flash plugin and quit giving me this grief?
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

you could try this ,,,,,,, https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-Firefox/page4

look to post#1

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I don't use the Ubuntu flashplugin-installer. I added Pepper Flash ppa: https://launchpad.net/~skunk/+archiv...u/pepper-flash and use it's flashplugin. No issues at all. You will want to uninstall flashplugin-installer first.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

An update:
        I've decided to try the Pepper Flash on my Lenovo laptop before trying it as a solution on the Dell desktop. I followed SteveRiley's instructions (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...h-with-Firefox). The first one showed Adobe Flash as not installed:

Code:
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$ sudo apt-get purge adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-installer
        [sudo] password for tommy: 
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree       
        Reading state information... Done
        Package 'adobe-flashplugin' is not installed, so not removed
        E: Unable to locate package adobe-flash-properties-kde
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$ ^C
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$
        Everything else seems to have gone well. I believe Pepper is installed. Youtube videos work.

I ran commands to check the install of Pepper Flash, but it would seem that (contrary to what I saw before) Adobe Flash and Pepper are both installed. Here's what I get:

Code:
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$ dpkg -l | grep -i flash
        ii  anki                                                        2.0.31                                    all          flexible, intelligent flashcard program
        ii  flashplugin-installer                                       11.2.202.438ubuntu0.14.10.1               amd64        Adobe Flash Player plugin installer
        ii  pepperflashplugin-nonfree                                   1.7ubuntu1                                amd64        Pepper Flash Player - browser plugin
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$ ^C
        And:

Code:
        tommy@tommy-Ideapad-Z570:~$ ll -R /usr/lib/mozilla
        /usr/lib/mozilla:
        total 44
        drwxr-xr-x   3 root root  4096 Dec 25 20:01 ./
        drwxr-xr-x 168 root root 36864 Jan 26 16:04 ../
        drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jan 26 16:02 plugins/

/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins:
        total 8
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Jan 26 16:02 ./
        drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 Dec 25 20:01 ../
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   37 Jan 22 16:31 flashplugin-alternative.so -> /etc/alternatives/mozilla-flashplugin
        lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   54 Jan 26 05:50 libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so -> ../../freshplayerplugin/libfreshwrapper-pepperflash.so
        Muon update is still pestering me to update the Adobe one, as you can see in this screenshot:

image hosting

Obviously, I haven't purged Adobe Flash just yet, thought it would appear Pepper is installed fine. This command doesn't seem to have done the deal for me:

Code:
        sudo apt-get purge adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-installer
        I'm not going to allow for the system to update until I know more. Do I need to find another command to uninstall and purge Adobe Flash and leave Pepper as is? Or do I need to uninstall and purge both Adobe and Pepper flash and then reinstall Pepper?

(Btw, I'm in Kubuntu 14.10, not 14.04 -- need to change my sig.)

Comment

did you do both of these
          Code:
          sudo apt-get purge adobe-flash-properties-kde adobe-flashplugin flashplugin-installer

rm -rfv ~/.macromedia ~/.adobe
          apt may have stoped when it could not find
          Package 'adobe-flashplugin' is not installed, so not removed
          E: Unable to locate package adobe-flash-properties-kde
          you could do it agin with just the flashplugin-installer sence you havent let it update .

but check in the konsole just
          Code:
          sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
          and see what it wants to update you can type n to abort.

IE: "flashplugin-installer"

VINNY
          Last edited by vinnywright; Jan 26, 2015, 06:02 PM.
          16GB RAM

Comment

Humm I seam to have both as well and I have an update as you do ..........go hear and see what ver it reports http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

16,0,0,257 installed @hear

Code:
            The following packages will be upgraded:
              debugedit flashplugin-installer freshplayerplugin google-chrome-stable
              ipxe-qemu libcairo-gobject2 libcairo2 libegl1-mesa libegl1-mesa-drivers
            I'll go ahead and do it ,,,and get back

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Code:
              <snip>
              flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.440.orig.tar.gz
              Installing from local file /tmp/tmpL_OmGN.gz
              Flash Plugin installed.
              <snip>
              Setting up flashplugin-installer (11.2.202.440ubuntu0.14.04.1) ...
              Setting up freshplayerplugin:amd64 (0.2.2+git201501261246~ubuntu14.04.1) ...
              and still ....... You have version 16,0,0,291 installed on the adobe site.

guess it's safe

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

yup even youtube is saying............................................ .........

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                  yup even youtube is saying............................................ .........

VINNY
                  Yeah, from that site, I'm getting:

You have version 16,0,0,291 installed

Comment

Working...
                  X