This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I get back to nouveau without re-installing

I had 14.10 running nicely with the nouveau driver. However a little widget on the panel kept telling me to use a proprietary driver. The driver manager told me that nvidia 331 was the recommended driver ans so I selected that, but after I rebooted and logged in the screen flickered a bit and then went to a plain blue background and I could not do anything.

As I had no gui at all I could not run the driver manager again to revert to nouvea and Ctrl-Alt-F1 did not work and so I had to re-istall eveything.

For future reference can anyone give any advice on how to change back to nouveau without a GUI and without having to re-install.

TIA

Possibly this might help:

When you are at the login do the Ctrl + Alt + F1 thing

Login normally

sudo stop lightdm

and then enter which should stop X11

sudo apt-get purge nvidia*

again hit enter which should clear the nvidia stuff

sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-nouveau

enter again

Your results might be that the driver is already there....which is a good thing! lol, or it will install it.

sudo reboot

you "should" get some semblance of a low res screen to get to the settings or....you might actually get the normal login with the nouveau driver!

I've borked more systems than I want to count and this usually gets me up and going, with emphasis on the usually.

However, I'm not too bright about this stuff, being just a hardware kinda guy, so you might wait for somebody more experienced .

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Thanks Woodsmoke

That sounds like what I need. I'll keep it handy and when I pluck up the courage I'll try the 304.125 driver to see if it is more succesful. Hopefully even if it isn't I'll be able to get back to nouveau without the re-installation and configuration palaver.

Dethadol

Comment

OKAAAYYYY the ".dol" thing.........you do know that the original recipe was not what was on the films until the Craig recipe..

I met this woman in Hong Kong........she appeared to be a "Hindi"..........we met later at the Mandarin Inn.....nowadays of the ten thousand dollar bathtub.........

but..........she spoke.....really "Mandarin"................and took me on a rickshaw thing like you would not believe.......

really.............black and white British China Fleet:
        [img]
        http://images.travelpod.com/tw_slides/ta00/c3f/ea8/rickshaw-hong-kong.jpg[/img]

however............please remember...........one part gin........four parts real coconut milk.......after all.........it is the fish fry.........and........another part gin......lol

BUT............there are WAAAY MORE INTELLIGENT WOMEN AND MEN THAN ME ON THIS SITE.............

p'raps wait a bit.

woodjustsayinsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Jan 27, 2015, 01:44 AM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Having experienced the nvidia problems for 6 years I can add some information. It really depends on your video card. If you have an older card I would not recommend you go higher than the 304.125 driver. Nvidia started dropping support for their older cards and their current driver probably does't support yours. Please check on nvidia's site and use their driver search tool and you can see if your card is supported and what version to use. Here is the link if you have a geforce card....

http://www.geforce.com/drivers

If you don't have a geforce card you can still find it from this page....

http://www.nvidia.com/object/unix.html
          Last edited by eddieg538; Jan 27, 2015, 02:59 PM.
          Alienware 17 R2
          ​ 8 × Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
          ​ with Kubuntu 23.10
          Nvidia Graphics
          16 Ram
          Close Windows and open the world!!

Comment

Thanks both.

I now have 304.125 working happily!

Comment

Working...
            X