X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin -- Baloo search issues [14.10 & 14.04]

Hi!

A couple of weeks ago I installed Kubuntu 14.10 Plasma Next testing edition.

So far so good, but Dolphin would ALWAYS return zero search results either if I choose to search "Everywhere" or "In this folder" AND select Home, Downloads, Images or any other Location from Dolphin's left panel.

But if select Root from the same panel and choose to search "In this folder ( / )" then all search queries immediately become successful.

In other words, if a file resides inside Downloads, it is only found if I search from root; it will never show up in search results if I search inside Downloads proper.

What is more confusing, using Dolphin to search "In this folder" is always successful if the folder in question is not Home, Downloads, Pictures or any other standard Locations. Searching for "movie.avi" inside a subfolder of Downloads finds the file, searching for "movie.avi" from root finds the file, searching for "movie.avi" inside Downloads itself produces zero results (just as searching for *.* does)

My other box runs Kubuntu 14.04 and Dolphin there is equally unable to produce any search results while searching "Everywhere" but otherwise behaves correctly.

Forcing Baloo to rebuild its index did nothing, removing Baloo's databases manually was also useless.

P.S. This kind of behaviour is NOT on the Plasma 5.0 or Plasma 5.1 Known Issues list, neither I was able to google up any previous mention of a similar bug.
    Last edited by eierfrucht; Jan 09, 2015, 04:20 PM.

you could try the package/applacation "recoll" ,,,,,,,, it is a vary fast and handy search tool .

upon launching the first time it will start it's first indexing ,,,,stop it,,,,,and configure where you want it to index/look then restart the indexing ,,,,,,,the first run takes a bit but then after you will hardley notes it updating the index.

search recoll hear on the forum and you will find how to use it in dolphin as well

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thank you for your suggestion, but you don't mean that Baloo is totally useless or too much of a trouble to stick with it?

I find Baloo very fast and am satisfied with it in all possible ways save for the bug mentioned in my first post.

Comment

Originally posted by eierfrucht View Post
        Thank you for your suggestion, but you don't mean that Baloo is totally useless or too much of a trouble to stick with it?
        NO,,,,,,just an alternative

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Baloo is intregal to KDE integration. But Recoll as a 'find it any where' utility just can't be beat; IMHO.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 09, 2015, 09:23 PM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X