This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 52ROSt View Post
    I do miss this function (suspend to HDD) a lot. It is the most often used shut down function I use on my XP machine (here it is called "hypernation"). I use it several times a day. Fortunately my kubuntu machine has a SSD which enables a start up in 30 sec incl the loggin as a user. It would be very nice to get the function "suspend to HDD/SSD" implemented in kubuntu or KDE.
    Hibernation has been disabled by default in (K)ubuntu since 12.04. There was a discussion on this topic a while back: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ernation+12.04

Check out this page https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/ubuntu...hibernate.html for an explanation of why hibernation has been disabled and the process to test and (if testing was successful) to add hibernation to the Leave menu.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

Thanks for the information and the links. I will have a look at this matter and make a test. in the next days. Being able to suspend to the SSD would be great.

Comment

First test of hibernation was positive. However, when I repeat hibernation 2-3 times it becomes unreliable. Conclusion for me: Cannot use hibernation and I am lucky that I have an SSD with which my system starts up including entering of pasword in 25sec. Shut down time about 10sec. With a normal HDD I would be disappointed about (k)ubuntu.

Comment

Once Ubuntu (and thus Kubuntu) switches from Upstart to systemd, boot times will be quicker. I've tried enabling full systemd on my Utopic install and boot time is shorter.

Comment

Even faster booting is phantastic! I am looking forward to this.

However, hibernation allows to keep all documents open as they are and nothing gets lost. A pitty that (k)ubuntu can't do this. Let's see if something comes up in this direction.

In meantime I am looking forward to your faster booting time.

Comment

Working...
            X