This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the icedtea plugin in the repositories doesn't work

I have a problem in Utopic with the installation of 'icedtea-7-plugin:amd64', the openjava plugin.
    Some of the packages involved appear to be broken.

As java is important on my PC and I prefer to use openjava, my work-around is to continue to use Trusty Tahr until a fix is created.

*addition*
    there is a related bug report at Debian, 'Bugs in package icedtea-netx', which appears to relate to the problem I encountered. Perhaps we are waiting for the fix to come from there?

*further addition*

My internet searches have lead me to believe that the problem appears to be that Ubuntu has adopted a package or packages from Debian marked 'not ready for release' due to serious bugs.
    these packages are an update to the 'Icedtea-web' set and have been modified to allow for openjava-8 which is around the corner
    however part of these packages is broken, in particular the package 'icedtea-netx' which as a result prevents installation of the java plugin

the equivalent in Trusty Tahr has not incorporated these changes and so it is working fine

As a temporary measure it seems that Utopic would be better falling back on the same open java packages that Tahr uses until a fix for the proposed packages is produced, possibly at Debian
    at least it would then be possible to install the java plugin as is possible at Trusty Tahr

I am posting this at these Forums because I do not know who to address over this matter

The problem package originates at Debian, but they have it marked as not ready to be used. Debian are aware it is not yet fit for use
    The Ubuntu repositories have a viable set of packages in Tahr, but in Utopic they are using this new set that does not allow icedtea web plugin to be installed from the repositories.

I hope whoever oversees these matters will find a way to producing a fix that will allow me to use my Utopic installation.

I also apologise in advance if this is in the wrong section of these Forums. It is a Utopic topic, it is a software related matter and the problem does need some support.
    However I do realise that there might be somewhere more appropriate for this post to appear.
    This problem is not specific to Kubuntu.

I do realise that there are ways to set up Oracle Java as an alternative, but I prefer Open Java and the Kubuntu repositories
    Last edited by bobbicat; Nov 01, 2014, 06:42 AM.

As it's an Ubuntu package, and not something created or maintained by Kubuntu at all, your best bet might be to add your experiences to any Ubuntu bug report on launch pad, or create a new one if someone has not done so.

Sent from my Verizon HTC Droid DNA Android smartphone running ViperRom Kit Kat, using Tapatalk, like all that really matters

Comment

thanks for that claydoh
      creating bug reports isn't one of my strengths but I'll give it a try
      if there's any result I'll post back on this thread

*subsequently*
      I put something up at Launchpad
      There are one or two similar reports
      I'm quite surprised nothing has been done about this problem
      It was spotted quite some time ago when Utopic was first up for testing

As a result, Utopic does not have its own working java right now!! - which must be a game-breaker for a lot of folk.
      Last edited by bobbicat; Nov 01, 2014, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Could you link us to bug reports, please?

Comment

Probably: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...b/+bug/1363785

The bug report has a workaround to get the apt-get happy: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...85/comments/14

It seems to work at here - to get the icedtea-7-plugin & icedtea-netx installed.
          Last edited by Rog132; Nov 01, 2014, 01:24 PM.
          A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
          Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Working...
          X