X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v14.10 won't automatically recognize headphones. Must switch manually

Plugging or unplugging headphones makes no difference
    If I go into System Settings \ Hardware \ Multimedia \ Audio and Video Settings \ Device Preferences
    and change the preferred order then whatever is first is engaged.

So currently I have to go in to System Settings every time I want to use my headphones.

How can I get it to switch automaticallly?

Or could I write a little script that would toggle between speakers and headphones?
    KDE neon LTS 5.12

The veromix plasma widget could help you. It allows you to control audio channels from a widget on your desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      The veromix plasma widget could help you. It allows you to control audio channels from a widget on your desktop.
      That sounds fantastic

So I installed the widget, found it in Add Widgets and got it onto my panel. but it shows up as red square icon with an "X" in the middle.

Left or right clicking does nothing. I rebooted and it didn't help

any ideas?
      KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Found a youtube video explaining you need:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fph8xqsJd_g

Requirements:
        - plasma-scriptengine-python
        - python-xdg
        - python-qt4-dbus
        - pulseaudio
        - swh-plugins / ladspa-swh-plugins (for equalizer and other effects)

for it to work. Now to play around with it
        KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

nice widget

but it doesn't help. I can adjust the volume of the headphones or speakers but they still only produce sound based on what is first preference in SystemSettings.

Darn it!
          That was going to be a sweet solution.
          KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

If you right click on the audio stream in the widget, you can sen it to a different device.

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
              If you right click on the audio stream in the widget, you can sen it to a different device.
              Thanks whatthefunk, but can you be more specific?

When I left click the widget to display the audio streams I see my HDMI port and Headphones represented.

So when I right click the headphones to send audio to it I see this:

Ports >
              Profile >
              Default Sink
              Mute
              Volume Meter
              Unlock Channels
              Add Effect >
              HDA Nvidia >

Veromix Settings

I clicked on Default Sink but it didn't do anything
              KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Start something playing. You'll see the stream along with the sinks (like your headphones). Drag the stream's icon and drop it on your headphone's sink icon.

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
                  Start something playing. You'll see the stream along with the sinks (like your headphones). Drag the stream's icon and drop it on your headphone's sink icon.
                  Thanks ronw

That is super cool. Way better than manually plugging/unplugging to switch between.

Last question: How do I do this for video games played full screen? (steam)
                  KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Veromix is indeed nice. Sadly, it seems unlikely anyone will port it to Plasma5.

Originally posted by finny388 View Post
                    Last question: How do I do this for video games played full screen? (steam)
                    Sorry, no idea. If the Multimedia settings won't do what you need, I assume you'd have to start a game non-fullscreen so you can see the Veromix widget, set it, then go fullscreen.

Comment

Seems you are right. Here's how to do it:

Set Launch Options
                      1 Right-click on the game title under the Library in Steam and select Properties.
                      2 Under the General tab click the Set launch options... button.
                      3 Enter the launch options you wish to apply (be sure to separate each code with a space) and click OK.
                      4 Close the game's Properties window and launch the game.

For this case the code you want to use is "-windowed" (without quotes) or "-sw"

That worked with Half-Life 2 anyway. Then in the game go to Options\Video and change from Windowed to Fullscreen.

It would be nice if Veromix had settings to assign certain audio sources with certain applications.

Thanks, I believe this issue is solved.
                      KDE neon LTS 5.12

Comment

Working...
                      X