X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optical drive not present in /media folder & trash issue [14.04.1]

Hello,
    Very unhappy with 14.04, discovered the updated version 14.04.1, which IMO is very close (if not identical) to 14.10. Anyway, this time I love 14.04.1. Runs even colder than 12.04 (which I was very happy with), and allowed me to install from .deb files applications I depend on: Jupiter (the earlier 0.1.9-2, not the last 0.1.11-2 which installed but didn't run), and k9copy.
    Still, I encountered some issues with this distro, and don't know how to solve them:
    1. Run K3B, and repeatedly got same error after burning discs, just before verifying them. Still, discs are usable. It said: input-output error. Went to the /media folder, and at my surprise couldn't see any media in it. Just an empty Home folder (!?) and two hidden shortcuts, one stating the hard-disc icon for the folder, and another with hidden media: floppy and cdrom. The hidden shortcuts linked to /etc/kubuntu-default-settings, where I found the same home folder and hidden files (no more shortcuts now). Well, not seeing the optical drive in the media folder is wired. Checked its name elsewhere, and it is: dev/sr0 (which is OK).
    2. The second issue I found is with the Trashcan widget, installed to the taskbar. If I Move to Trash items from the Home and Desktop folders, It doesn't show like having items in it, nor allows me to empty it. But if I move to it items from any other folders in the Home (so not from the Desktop), it works just fine. Wired!

This is for the moment, after testing for two days now, 14.04.1 fresh-installed to a spare hard-drive mounted on the computer (not USB, or whatsoever).
    Hoping for a solution, thanks,
    Last edited by aria; Nov 12, 2014, 08:29 PM.
    aria

Update to pt. 1): Actually I see that no drivers are shown in /media anymore, but only their content in /media/home (where home = username). Should this confuse K3B? And if yes, how to fix it?

I would also add a third issue:

3) Network manager seems to block the WiFi sometimes. Now, with 14.04.1 I installed broadcome driver (which wasn't possible with 14.04, where this WiFi issue was far more disturbing). But still shows up from time to time. And it only blocks WiFi, because if connecting LAN all works. It also works if I disconnect and reconnect WiFi from the keyboard. Once, when WiFi was blocked, I did:
    Code:
    kdesudo kate /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
    and all values come true:

NetworkingEnabled=true
    WirelessEnabled=true
    WWANEnabled=true
    WimaxEnabled=true

BTW, what is this WimaxEnabled? It is something new here.
    This WiFi blocking issue never happen with 12.04. How could it be fixed in 14.04.1?

Looking forward,
    Last edited by aria; Nov 11, 2014, 12:08 PM.
    aria

Comment

1. Do you have your user in cdrom group?
      If this doesn't help maybe adding entry in /etc/fstab will help. See:
      https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Fstab
      Code:
      /dev/scd0  /media/cdrom0  udf,iso9660  user,noauto,exec,utf8  0  0

Comment

Did it and got:
        bash: /dev/scd0: No such file or directory

Tried with sr0, and got:
        bash: /dev/sr0: Permission denied

Added kdesudo in front and got:
        IBusInputContext::createInputContext: no connection to ibus-daemon

Checked /media and nothing changed.
        Last edited by aria; Nov 11, 2014, 12:35 PM.
        aria

Comment

I also use 14.04.1. In /dev I have sr0

I don't know what you did to get such output.

Edit file /etc/fstab
          save and restart system
          Perhaps you will need to create /media/cdrom0 folder first (or whatever you name it) which will be the place where content of cd dvd will be mounted. If doesn't work you can also check if permissions of that folder are for user not for root.

Edit:
          I also have cdrom file in /dev folder
          so you can do
          Code:
          sudo nano /etc/fstab
          and add
          Code:
          #cdwriter
          /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom udf,iso9660 rw,noauto,user,exec,utf8 0 0
          save by pressing Ctrl+o
          o on the right side of keybord
          and Ctrl+x to exit
          then reboot
          Last edited by gnomek; Nov 11, 2014, 01:26 PM.

Comment

cdrom/dvdrom drives are not actually mounted until there is media inserted into them, which is likely why you don't see anything in /media/<user>

/dev is the actual hardware, so yes, there should be an entry in this special directory for it. However, the kernel/udev/etc handle mounting the media you put in it, and adding a new entry to fstab will likely not do much of anything.

As to the k3b errors, it is most likely an issue with the disk burning backend that is used, Wodim (CDRKit), that most distros seem to use over cdrecord (due to licensing issues) If you still have trouble, you can try using the cdrecord tools instead.

I can't say how well it works at all, as I don't think I have burned a disk since probably mid 2011. Heck, I don't think I have put a disk in any of my machines this year, at a minimum

Comment

OK, I'm back. Just played what I believe was the last tennis hours this year, which is incredible: 11 November in Canada!!! Couldn't miss that!

I might have it all wrong from the beginning. All you describe it should be, it is indeed: /dev/sr0, the content of the media (when inserted) in /media/username, all is there. What tricked me was that in 12.04 and in a 14.04-GS distro, it appears /media/cdrom (not username). But checking the content, in the /media/cdrom found the content of the live-USB key I used to run these distros. I always thought cdrom is cdrom or dvd, not USB, SD, etc. If so, I found much logical the way Kubuntu 14.04 went, replacing cdrom with the username in /media. So, this issue cleared, false alarm.

But still, K3B gave me errors (I first thought they came from the missing cdrom in /media). It burns dvd, but after finishing burning, instead of verifying the written data (like I set it), shows this input-output error. Still, the dvd is burnt completely and can be watched on any player. But, I'm not happy at all with this bug when K3B tries to verify written data.

There are also the other two issues: with the Trashcan widget, and with the Network manager (see my first and second posts).

Some ideas on all these? Need to be solved before I install 14.04.1 on my default hard disc (I use now a spare one, for testing).
              Thanks,
              aria

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/QIofNYO.png
                http://i.imgur.com/euT3Gyg.png
                http://i.imgur.com/HhDY82j.png
                http://i.imgur.com/f997d42.png

Here are my settings. You can also check burning another cd/dvd disk. Maybe the one you use is somehow damaged.
                You can also check cables: primary master, secondary master, slave ...
                This might be important (not saying that it matters in your specific case) but checking if cd is burned correctly needs higher information flow that just burning. You can also check debug info.

You can also check if setting default temp folder, to give k3b more space. Not sure if this has any meaning but I do it. All those settings (including entry in fstab) works for me.
                Last edited by gnomek; Nov 12, 2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Everything is there, gnomek, well, only the dvd's name differs. But I believe I solved it. Fact is K3B couldn't read written data, so, I just inserted a movie DVD and started K3B. It mounted, but when clicking on the dvd title (up in the left window), a message appear: "K3b uses transcode to rip Video DVDs. Please make sure it is installed." Also, in the right window, previews of chapters didn't loaded. Have to say that just before doing this I installed the debug package k3b-dbg, and he really did his job: replacing the error message with one pointing to the solution. Did install transcode in Muon Package Manager. It called for some dependencies (sox, mainly). Than restarted K3B, and now it could load the images of the chapters. Didn't burn yet a new dvd, but judging just by the symptoms, I assume this issue has been solved.

Thus, reedited the title for my first post (unfortunately couldn't do the same for the thread's title), pointing to K3B instead of the cdrom missing from /media/...

As for the Network Manager, I'm testing another router see if blocking WiFi to get Internet access (this is what happen actually, not stopping WiFi itself). And for the Trashcan widget, I hope for an update.

Thanks to all,
                  Last edited by aria; Nov 12, 2014, 08:33 PM.
                  aria

Comment

Working...
                  X