This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New install failed - sort of... Troubles and first impressions

I attempted to install 14.10 Plasma 5 last night. Admittedly, my setup isn't "standard" by any definition of that word, because of that I attempted to direct grub to a partition boot record rather than an MBR. Two attempts caused Ubiquity (the installer) to fail at grub-install. So I ran it again with the --no-bootloader switch (IMO - Stupid that the no bootloader option isn't available in the GUI). This time it failed again at the same place. I'm not sure why.

Anyway - not easily defeated am I - so I warmed up my keyboard and went digging. Seemed the files were all present after the installer crashed except grub.cfg so I went into my grub menu and manually entered the boot command and successfully booted to the SDDM login menu - cool looking BTW - but it wouldn't take my password. Seems the installer does grub before it finishes the user setup.

Still not defeated: Booted into recovery mode, remounted / rw, created a new password on my account, rebooted and logged in. Decided first thing to do was update, but I didn't have sudo access!

Booted to my working install and mounted 14.10 - seems my user was not added to any groups. So I edited the group file and put myself in all the usual places and rebooted to 14.10, ran update-grub so I'd have a .cfg file there, and rebooted.

Success! ran updates, fiddled about a bit, ran into one more small problem: the path settings from /etc/environment aren't set for my user in bash. I haven't fixed this one yet, but there are a dozen workarounds so I've not invested much time into figuring it out yet.

First Impressions: Seems more responsive - faster, snapper - than my 14.04 install. This is really amazing when you consider that I was running the nouveau driver and not the nVidia driver yet. The new look - mostly flat effects and stark B&W icons - takes a bit to get used to. I assume I could change that but I haven't bothered to try. System settings has been altered - there's a lot fewer icons in there. I think some features may not be available yet or I haven't installed them. I suspect some of the functions have been combined or moved. I wasn't planning on moving to 14.10 right away, but it looks and works so well, I might.

Please Read Me
Working...
X